Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 11-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
kkenny
Sub Adult

Default Gulping

I am very new to my Hermann- George, 2yrs living in a table top with basking spot and UV lamp. He has hemp and toroise calcuim soil mix.

Today (only had him 4 days) he seems to be swallowing or gulping. Not opening his mouth, it appears on a pulse rythmn in his throat area. Is this normal?

I hasnt eaten much yet, few bits of dried dandelion, wont take watercress or kale (only thing I can get just now) my seeds havent grown enough yet to give him.

Any suggestions? I am bathing him every day and I would say he is active with bright eyes.

Oh, he wont drink either, I was expecting him to want to sip occasionally.

Thanks anyone, Karin
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
Paige Lewis
Hatched

The gulping is just him smelling, as to not seeing him drink, i rarely see mine drink but a water bowl is still important for them to drink if they choose to. Him not eating much could be hi just settling in from the stress of the move to new surroundings, where did you get him from?
Old 11-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige Lewis View Post
The gulping is just him smelling, as to not seeing him drink, i rarely see mine drink but a water bowl is still important for them to drink if they choose to. Him not eating much could be hi just settling in from the stress of the move to new surroundings, where did you get him from?
lol I thought the gulping was because they never had a diaphragm and had to sort of gulp air...
Old 11-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkenny View Post
Not opening his mouth, it appears on a pulse rythmn in his throat area. Is this normal?
yes it's normal.

sometimes they can take weeks to eat after getting them home.

you need to bath it every day to keep it hydrated, warm but not hot water for about 15 mins. It will take sips in the bath and will take water in through the nostrils. quite often you won't even notice it and lots of people think their tort doesn't drink. a washing up bowl from the pound shop is ideal, don't know how much they cost though
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
kkenny
Sub Adult

Oh thats a relief then, glad its normal either way.

I got him from thetortoiseshop.com
I know it is scary online but after a lot of comunication, i felt confident to trust the site and to be honest, i have no regrets, he is stunning and they have been so very helpful. Oh and I have a licence number for him.

Do you think I should still keep offering watercress for now?

I will keep up the baths.

Thanks so much. Karin
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
Beverley
Adult

Congratulations on your new tortoise
when he has settled he will eat. To be honest watercress and kale are not foods I would offer a Hermann to eat. Weeds are best for him I know it's difficult at the moment but some are beginning to grow again. Look at our weed edible weed section here to get ideas of good foods. Don't pick weeds that may have been sprayed with chemicals or close to a busy road due to lead content. Or if you are stuck florette crispy salad mix from supermarkets is ok.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
TortBabe
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkenny View Post
Oh thats a relief then, glad its normal either way.

I got him from thetortoiseshop.com
I know it is scary online but after a lot of comunication, i felt confident to trust the site and to be honest, i have no regrets, he is stunning and they have been so very helpful. Oh and I have a licence number for him.

Do you think I should still keep offering watercress for now?

I will keep up the baths.

Thanks so much. Karin
Hi Karin, congrats on your new tort. I have purchased several from the tortoise shop, and they are fantastic healthy tortoises. Another great weed site is http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp There are a huge variety of plants/weeds to feed, do a little research and you will be an expert in no time Like others have said, hydration is more important for now, he will eat when he is ready. Also romaine and little gem lettuces are good alternatives while the weeds are scarce. But get researching, they are growing back