Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 15-01-2016, 05:23 PM   #1
markbigears
Incubating

Default out of enclosure time

Hi all, Just wondering how much time you have your torts out daily for a good run around? We've been letting Munster out for a good wander around the house for about 2x20 mins a day to keep him regular and build up his muscles.
Only let him out when it's nice and warm in the rooms so he doesn't get a chill.
Surprising how far they walk in so little time, have to watch him like a hawk!
Old 15-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #2
Jan W
Sub Adult

If they have been in their indoor home they always have a bath and then I let them wander. Once they have had enough they move into the corner behind a small stool I have, or behind one of the boots in the utility room. The time varies, it may be a few minutes to 3/4 hour pottering. They are able to walk around the kitchen and into the utility room and although I do not leave the area I carry on and do other things and leave them to it.

If I take them from their outdoor home to free range I find the same often happens. They find a bush or plant to hide in. Although sometimes they would probably walk off to goodness know where they seem to have so much energy, so I never leave them when they can go where they like. Defiantly watch like a hawk.

So, I suppose I let them dictate!
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 09:11 AM   #3
Catwoman63
Adult

I do let my horsfields have a wonder sometimes in the house if they are indoors, I've kept Zelda up this winter and not hibernated her (one of my old horsfield females) as she had a dodgy eye (all better now thanks to golden eye ointment), but its too cold on the floor so I don't let her out while its this cold

In the summer a couple of my tortoises will climb inside from the garden, and XEna, another old female horsfield will come into the kitchen and look up at the fridge as she knows the romaine lettuce is kept in there (that's their favourite food so I put any medicines on it as I know they will eat the lot lol) x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)

Last edited by Catwoman63; 17-01-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 08:24 PM   #4
vikki
Hatched

Just be careful of the fixes they can get themselves into - as demonstrated by Daisy below:

However she is a complete master at this and even manages it in her enclosure!!!!:

vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 09:33 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

brilliant photographs Vikki. Elenor won't even step over rocks at the moment. v shy b.
I love the first one. CB
Old 18-01-2016, 09:53 PM   #6
vikki
Hatched

Yes typical tortoise - not content with the 20'x12' sitting room she decided that the hallway really needed checking out then got stuck halfway!!
She wasn't completely stuck in her enclosure and could maneuver her way off but seemed to quite like it there!!
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote