Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 30-04-2015, 06:41 PM   #11
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatty91 View Post
They are 32 if I have the window open a tad, is that not ok? This is my first tortoise so I am trialling and erroring a bit and all advice is very welcome! I am also looking at raising the lamp/lowering the table. How do I upload a photo on these forums?! I can't physically get my house below 20 really at night, even with the heating off it's that temp.
If you have to have the window open to get temps around 32c then under the light it might well be even hotter.
You can turn the light off for an hour without causing any problems to your tortoise. It would just be a cloudy time:0)
Can you raise the lamp?
I wish my house would stay warmer at night:0)
It can get down to below 10c.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 06:53 PM   #12
Tatty91
Egg

Raising the lamp is a bit tricky as I don't have anything higher up to attach it onto. I am able to lower the table though by a few cm so hopefully that will make a difference?
Tatty91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 08:24 PM   #13
sandy
Adult

[QUOTE=Tatty91;652398]Raising the lamp is a bit tricky as I don't have anything higher up to attach it onto. I am able to lower the table though by a few cm so hopefully that will make a difference?[/QUOTE

It should make some difference.
You could try turning the heat off for a while, when you are there, just to see if your tortoise becomes more active.
Are you using a sorce of UV?

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 08:28 PM   #14
Tatty91
Egg

Yes it is a combined UV/heat bulb, an Arcadia one. This morning I got her up at 7 before I went to work for a bath and put her back under the lamp. My family checked on her and she was still awake at 10.30 and had eaten something which was good. She also did a poo and passed urates this morning. I will try turning the lamp off for a bit too.
Old 30-04-2015, 09:43 PM   #15
yuna1971
Adult

What Sandy said is what I do every day (when it's rubbish outside). I tend to leave the lights off for a few hours. I leave the strip going but usually Lily is napping then in any event. It does ease temps doing this. Maybe do this middle of the day?
It is still a bit chilly on some days. However as is the norm for English weather, it can still have periods of warm weather. Keep the windows open a bit and wider if it gets too warm.
It does take a bit of tweaking to get things right.
You could also reposition the table, ie if it's near a window then direct sunlight may rocket up the temps. Maybe try putting it in a different spot (if all else fails). xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:51 AM   #16
Tatty91
Egg

Thank you everyone for your advice. I have now booked an appointment with a reptile vet because things haven't changed much. Temps are still reading 32-33 and 22-23 but she is not interested in eating, despite me getting her up for a bath and putting her under the lamp. Today she sat next to her food for about half an hour but walked off.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:53 PM   #17
knottyedge
Hatchling

Have you tried warm baths in the am to help wake him/her up maybe worth buying some reptiboost to put in the bath too as this
knottyedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #18
Tatty91
Egg

Yes warm baths every morning. She is drinking in those so at least staying hydrated.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:09 AM   #19
Catwoman63
Adult

If you cannot control the temps with a combined lamp ( I had one in one of the sheds a couple of years ago, and it would get to 40+ and no thermostat to control it) I would change to a seperate uv strip light and basking bulb that way you can plug the basking bulb into a thermostat which will switch it off automatically when the heat goes too high and switch back on when goes under the temp set. Then you don't have worry x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:22 AM   #20
Tatty91
Egg

These are her movements today. Please could anyone tell me if they think I am doing anything wrong or whether it does sound like it is worms/a vet problem in general.

8.15: I put the lamp on. Mabel was asleep in the corner nearest the lamp (could see shell but head/limbs buried)

8.45: Temp was up to 30 and no movement, so I got her up for a warm bath.

Soaked in the bath for 20 minutes (2 water changes so it was kept warm) and she passed some urates, and seemed generally bright eyed.

9.15: Put her back in her table with her food, under the lamp, temp now 32c. Weeds I gave today were white clover, cat's ear, plantain (all of which she's eaten before). She basked for a bit, had the smallest nibble at the weeds when I put them right in front of her nose, but barely touched them and started to wander off. At 10 I put the feeding slate back in the cool end (with her still on it) and she has now gone under a flower pot, and I doubt she'll come out again.

I feel so frustrated and worried I am doing something wrong, but temps seem right and no different to the first 2 weeks I had her, when she ate every day.