Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 10-07-2015, 11:32 PM   #1
NatCat410
Egg

Exclamation Musk Turtle Problems

I keep two musk turtles (4 years) and have always been told that they like to bask and so I provided them with a floating polystyrene dock which they seem to enjoy eating more than actually sitting on! it hasn't appeared to do any harm for their health but i am growing concerned..
i wondered, what is the best method for helping my little fellas to bask? as the dock seems to be a waste of time..
Thanks!

Natalie
NatCat410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:27 PM   #2
dragonzuiko
Incubating

They can bite them when food gets stuck on the dock, sometimes they like munching on algae, they need the dock there, some musk's come out the water at night. you could try giving the dock a scrub or replace it with cork bark
dragonzuiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 11:44 PM   #3
aquaticsanctuary
Egg

Hi I run a sanctuary for turtles and terrapins and tortoises and fish. Musk don't bask as such, their idea of basing is by sticking their head above water as I'm sure you have seen them do it.So still need to add basking shelves and basking lamps etc though.They are not strong swimmers so need to add lots of things such as bog wood or things for them to climb on to do so, they will also cower away as like to hide, so need caves etc to hide in, I love my musk /stink pots and razor backs they are one of my favourite breeds, xx Sarah
aquaticsanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, musk, turtle