Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 01-03-2016, 09:19 PM   #1
Finsky
Incubating

Default Just some general questions..

Do tortoises fart?
I'm not asking this as being childish about it...well, I am but more of innocent way
Thing is..I observed something funny going on with Putin and I couldn't help but laugh I happened to look at him when I noticed him doing some 'funny facial looks'...like baby pushing poo out, though he didn't go red while straining ...just thought 'ey up...poo time!'...but no, he was twisting his head around and let go whosh of air!! They must do...as that what he did..I just didn't think reptiles would do it too..'why nature programs never state anything really obvious?

And another thing...

As Putin's housing is in the living room (at the moment that is)..and I'm up and about through out the night...switching lights on and off while doing my 'stuff'....will these lights have effect to his sleeping patterns? He certainly don't seem to wake up during night even though he don't always go into his bed chambers but stay there where he is when lights go out.
Do you keep your tortoises in total darkness? Do you use cover/cloth or something else to keep most of the light out?

That's it for the questions this time No doubt more will follow while I'm on my 'night duty' and I have time to think and wonder the world around me

Last edited by Finsky; 01-03-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:31 PM   #2
Finsky
Incubating

Oh something else too...

Does other tortoises do 'dry chomping' too when they are thinking of food or want to eat?
I can always tell when Putin is getting ready to eat when he start opening his mouth..it is like when the thought food has entered into his brain, the mouth is already lubricating its joints...and then the legs will deliver the body to the source..
Old 02-03-2016, 07:12 AM   #3
Gordon
Adult

With the lights being on all you need to do is set them up on a timer and leave a ceramic heat emitter on over night on a stat. The lights only need to be on for twelve hours. As for the other questions I think you just have an odd tortoise.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:28 AM   #4
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finsky View Post
Do tortoises fart?
I'm not asking this as being childish about it...well, I am but more of innocent way
Thing is..I observed something funny going on with Putin and I couldn't help but laugh I happened to look at him when I noticed him doing some 'funny facial looks'...like baby pushing poo out, though he didn't go red while straining ...just thought 'ey up...poo time!'...but no, he was twisting his head around and let go whosh of air!! They must do...as that what he did..I just didn't think reptiles would do it too..'why nature programs never state anything really obvious?

And another thing...

As Putin's housing is in the living room (at the moment that is)..and I'm up and about through out the night...switching lights on and off while doing my 'stuff'....will these lights have effect to his sleeping patterns? He certainly don't seem to wake up during night even though he don't always go into his bed chambers but stay there where he is when lights go out.
Do you keep your tortoises in total darkness? Do you use cover/cloth or something else to keep most of the light out?

That's it for the questions this time No doubt more will follow while I'm on my 'night duty' and I have time to think and wonder the world around me

Tortoises wake and go to sleep with light levels rather than temps:0)
So you will find that around or just before dusk they will take themselves to bed. And in the wild they would have no extra heat at all. So no need for light and heat at night.
If your tortoise is straining, I would keep a close eye on him, as tortoises dehydrate very quickly, which can cause bladder stones. If they get large tortoises cant pass them.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:24 AM   #5
Finsky
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
With the lights being on all you need to do is set them up on a timer and leave a ceramic heat emitter on over night on a stat. The lights only need to be on for twelve hours. As for the other questions I think you just have an odd tortoise.
Oh sorry, I didn't make myself clear with my ramblings. I was talking about the general lighting in the room, not the tortoises lights. I'm up in the middle of the night doing things and obviously do need lights on and was wondering if kind of 'light pollution' will be issue?

Yes, I'm loving the idea having 'odd tortoise'.....it doesn't get boring. I'm beginning to realize that tortoises are not 'just' tortoises. People think chickens 'are just chickens' but each and every one of them too have their own personality...yes, I do keep chickens as well
Thing is...when Putting is currently living next to my desk in the living room, I'm aware of his doings all the time..he is under VERY close scrutiny..'poor chap'..so I suppose I spot all kind of things that would be missed with those tortoises who are not being watched with 'magnifying glass'...IYKWIM..::
I did same when I first had my bees...sat on front of hive for hours over first few weeks..just observing what they were doing..and got very little work done until I had satisfied my curiosity..

Anyway..Putin up and 'running' again...body is warm and he is having his breakkie...and so will I

Have a good day everybody!!

Last edited by Finsky; 02-03-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #6
Finsky
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Tortoises wake and go to sleep with light levels rather than temps:0)
So you will find that around or just before dusk they will take themselves to bed. And in the wild they would have no extra heat at all. So no need for light and heat at night.
If your tortoise is straining, I would keep a close eye on him, as tortoises dehydrate very quickly, which can cause bladder stones. If they get large tortoises cant pass them.
Yes, his lights and 'heating' is all turned off for the night...room temperature is enough even for 'his highness'.. As I mentioned on my reply to Gordon...I was more concern of the lights that I have on in the same room for myself, as the tortoise is not properly in dark but have hours of 'dusk' lighting. Hence wondering if there is need for blind/cloth or some sort of cover to block the light for him? I can remember doing this for our budgies when I was kid..covering the cage with black cloth for the night.
Thanks for the hydration warning. I hope I have that under control and it is not issue....he does get bath every other day and I always keep eye on that he has had drink before I put him back...and he get odd misting of water too those days when it is not bath day...and I try to keep his soil mix dampened down in places... and his greenery gets misted too so there is little extra moisture source when he chomps it down.

Last edited by Finsky; 02-03-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:49 AM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

finksy unless you are going to stub a toe all lights off...global economy mostly ! I can usually tell when some of mine (in terms of day) will poop and you are spot on with the strain. Mine do a little dance with their back legs and then move slightly backwards and stand up on back legs ever so slightly and squeeze I guess ! its annoying if you have a glass of something in your hand as it usually goes flying in order to place tort where needs to be for the deed. I think the morale of that story for me is stick to tea till they go to sleep, CB
Old 02-03-2016, 01:51 PM   #8
Finsky
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
finksy unless you are going to stub a toe all lights off...global economy mostly ! I can usually tell when some of mine (in terms of day) will poop and you are spot on with the strain. Mine do a little dance with their back legs and then move slightly backwards and stand up on back legs ever so slightly and squeeze I guess ! its annoying if you have a glass of something in your hand as it usually goes flying in order to place tort where needs to be for the deed. I think the morale of that story for me is stick to tea till they go to sleep, CB
...I too try to catch him 'at it' so it don't trod it all over the place.

Unfortunately my nightly 'walk abouts' around house mean that I'm in full craft mode...spinning...knitting... doing all sorts (it is nice when house is quiet and nobody disturb you.. )..hence needing full lights on.
Lately I have placed small thick towel on him when I have lights on..and it have seemed to do the trick and he haven't been waking up at all.
I was just wondering if it really was necessary...but looking at all your responses, I might have been in right track to question it and providing some cover after all.
Once he is moved into his new housing, in spare bedroom..or outside..then the nature can take its course and I won't have to worry disturbing his beauty sleep.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:15 PM   #9
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Agree

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:52 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

just thought finsky...they do need to cool down at night and also you do need to see to read etc but ignoring all of that....on occasion its just quite nice to have one of the reptile moonlights on. Cheap little funky clamp and a moonlight bulb is soooo nice for the ambience but also it does just take the chill off, say if tortoise was in a utility room and clamp above him. vey very little heat but they come in 40w, 60 75 w, I sometimes use them to top up the heat and can angle them as I like and regardless, call me weird, make a nice feature even if you don't have a reptile! CB