Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 18-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
alicia
Adult

Default tortoise growth rate.

hi guys,

i'm really interested in the growth rate of all our tortoises, what amazes me is that some tortoises grow at phenomenal speed, with very little pyramiding and in a healthy way. yet others grow so slow?
seeing everyone's threads on here it seems to be quite common that people who keep their torts in hotter countries or with more access to outdoor housing seem to grow better and faster.

my two spur thigh's are growing quite fast, however Tinsel my male seems to be doubling in size every year. yet Brandy his sister is half his size. and compared to other torts on this site their age they are small in comparison.
what are your thoughts on this?

0.0.2 graeca ibera
alicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

Well my little spur is 75g and is two. My big one is 195g and only a year older. The little one has increased by 28g in the whole year i've had her but the bigger one has put that much in only a few months. Guess they are all different and we can only guide them to a certain point x
Old 18-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
janeL
Sub Adult

Kelly that is a great and concise explanation. I would also argue that it depends a little on the torotises character. My first two hatchlings were different in character even in thier eggs, when ever I candled them, one would be very active, the other much less. The less active one was bigger when hatching and has remained much bigger and much less active. They are nearly two now and they are very different in size.
I have to say this is just my theory. I have no scientific evidence for this!!

Hermanns THB 2:3:0
Algerian TGG 1.2.3
Ibera TGI 0.1.0[/CENTER]
janeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
alicia
Adult

thank you for replying.
Kelly what you said seems to make a lot of sense. Tinsel the larger tortoise is the one who likes to be first at the food and seems to be constantly in the basking area, even when he's off to sleep. yet brandy tends to go to the other end.
i try not to over do their food intake so they dont get an awful lot unless there in the garden to eat as much as they want.I'm wondering if i fed them more but also kept them hotter would their growth still be smooth?
when the weather drops like it has done in the last couple of weeks they always go a bit quiet and inactive too..... maybe i could ad in another spot bulb??

0.0.2 graeca ibera
alicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
shelmarie
Hatchling

I know the jackson ratio is used for hybernation but is there anything else i can use to check if they're too heavy/light?
shelmarie is offline   Reply With Quote