Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 20-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior
Default A big fat thankyou to hannah(hbvet)

not sure if she will read this as she is forever busy but still felt it wwas needed...........here we go

about 1 year ago a woman was after a gecko for her son and i got her one......i told her the correct size of food to give it and kitchen towl for substrate and i gacve her my own 6 page care guide on them.......5 months ago she rang to tell me that the gecko had a massive pink thing hanging out of it. i told her to seek a vets help the next day if the prolasped hemipenes did not go back in and gave her hannahs numbe rto make a pointment, but for the time being she should bath the lizard in warm water and it should go in by it's self,,,,but if that does not work them keep the substrate damp so that the hemipenes (reproductive organs) would stay moist. a few days later she told be that they went to a different vets and he stay that it was fine for it to hang out , altho he pushed it back in, he said don't worry about it.

i offer holiday care for exotic pets and normally if it's smallish and come swith it's enclosure then i do not charge (my charge is still cheaper than petshop boarding services). so the woman is going on holiday for a week and brought it down, i gave it a quick once over soi kne wthe state it was in before the owners left. i told them that it's hemipenes were hanging out and they said yea they know, it's been like that just over 3 months. i was extremely shocked and pretty disgusted. don't mean to be crude but thats like a woman with her ovaries hanging out and draging on the floor. they said just leave it and it will be fine(seems they no more than me ). that night i gentle gave it a warm bath and gave it a very slowly rub to get them to go in but it would not . aslo the actual organ was covered in sand,poo and bits of dead cricket legs. the enclosure was full of sand and it had a piece of cork and a hide, that was all. the sand was from a beach which would mean there is salt in it and i would of thought it would have stung. it seems that disregaurded all of what i told them. as i was tryign to clean the hemipenes the gecko made the loundest painful shreek ever, it actually looks in pain, which often you don't see in reptiles. have had this sort of problem with a good few lizards and genrally it's easy to sort out and they go striagth abck in but this is after a few hours of it being prolasped.....not over 12 weeks.

with not knowing what else to try i e-mailed and phoned hannah to say about the situation. but hannah was consulting at work and spoke to a nurse.....i explained that it wa snot my reptile and i did not have permission to take it to the vets or anyhting and i have no money to cover it's stay but i do have money in the bank of course to pay for and treatment or help. i had a phone call back later on and that hannah had super extremly kindly payed for the medicen and treatment that it needed to help it's hemipenes go back in. i am ever so thankful to hannah for this....and i hope it works.

it really makes me mad to hear that people just have such a lack of respect for animals and aren't bothered......i mean if a oragan was hanging out then that must let you knwo that soemthing is wrong.....maybe i am just too serious and a gecko is just a little crappy lizard to most.......but the way i see it is all animals need to be treat correctly and have a good life, if it was not for aniamls then i would most likely be another drug taking,knife carrying jobless drunk like the rest of the people my age around stoke.

i really hope this works and even if it does i will demand that they take the gecko to hannah the day they come back as it could have picked up infections.

once again thanks hannah for being a great vet and a even better person
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
tortoiseboy
Sub Adult

Poor gecko
well done hannah that was a lovely thing you did for the poor little fella
tortoiseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
kirstyhumphrey
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to kirstyhumphrey
Default Re: A big fat thankyou to hannah(hbvet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifewarrior
it really makes me mad to hear that people just have such a lack of respect for animals and aren't bothered......i mean if a organ was hanging out then that must let you know that something is wrong.....maybe i am just too serious and a gecko is just a little crappy lizard to most.......but the way i see it is all animals need to be treat correctly and have a good life, if it was not for animals then i would most likely be another drug taking,knife carrying jobless drunk like the rest of the people my age around stoke
your right there its such ashame for animals people take them so much for granted but how would they like it

well done for helping this lizard and a big well done to hannah just ashame its had to wait this long for the correct treatment

kirsty

1 leopard tort solo sex unknown
(R.I.P. WIGGLE and KIHA missing you)
kirstyhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #4
Toni115
Adult

good for you christian and how kind of hannah to do that for you
is the gecko going back to this person, or are you going to keep it?
Old 20-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Thats just shows you what a kind woman Hannah is. She loves her animals.

Well doen christian for sorting the gecko out.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #6
joathome
Adult

Great news Norris, a big slap on the back from me
Old 20-03-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
swad1000
Adult

I doubt most vets would be so kind.

Hannah deserves a star, as does Christian.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 09:15 PM   #8
linda
Adult

Hannah & Christian

well done to both of you
linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

thanks everyone...altho hannah is the star her self. the woman is a teacher at one of the schools i do presentations at. personally i wud prefer her to hand the gecko over to me....even more so if the prolaspe does not sort it's self out when it leaves here. i will tell them to contact hannah to amke sure they do get it sorted.....and i will check to amke sure they do as if they don't then i may have to take futher action.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #10
kimmerz
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to kimmerz Send a message via Yahoo to kimmerz

aw Hannahs lovely, I've never met her but she gave me a massive help when she tested my torts.

7 hermanns-Paris, Turbo, Pumba, Dave, Izzy, Miami and Zippy.
2 reds- Tommy and Elliot
kimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote