Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 10-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
Madhouse
Sub Adult

Default A 'shell' question please??

I've notice lately a slight growth of what I can only describe as clear shell growing. Seems to be growing quite evenly front and back. Is it just new bone growth and if so does it look okay?? Any thoughts on Mickey's shell at all please?? Am totally paranoid (call me Paranoid Polly - my family do ) about Mickey's growth rate and bumpy bones and pyramiding etc!

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...sortout010.jpg

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...=Mickey024.jpg

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...=Mickey010.jpg

Mickey's about 18 months old and has grown half a cm and put on about half an ounce in about 6/7 weeks - is that about right & healthy for him???

Don't know if Im a bit dim (may be best not to answer that one!!) but I cant find many pics of young spur thighed like him to compare to on here - Im probably getting all my 'proper' names confused!! We're going to revisit the sanctary that we got him from to see if they still have any of his brothers/sisters left so we can compare them sizewise but I've not been very altely so we've not been able to go.

Also he tends to look like he's gulping sometimes and bobs his head up and down!!! Do they all do this or is he a little odd?? He seems totally happy, is pooing and peeing correctly (if you know what I mean ) eats, drinks and sleeps when he's supposed to and appears to know my voice - he tends to come to me when I call him, how clever is that!!

Sorry if I'm just being a worryguts & wasting anyones time - any comments to put my mind at ease would be gratefully received. Failing that I'm sure my hubby would be mroe than happy to gaffa tape my mouth shut!!!

Thanks in advance! Take care
Steph - Wife to an ever patient hubby, Mum to four children, 2 dogs, cat, 3 newts, numerous fish, an eel, 3 dwarf hamsters, my 2 baby torts Mickey & Theo (Med. spur thighs) and Mr Grumpyboots Harries (Adult male Horsfield)
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
helen1
Sub Adult

Looks OK to me-just new growth? Have you the weight in grammes?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
EJ
Adult

The only time you should be concerned is when your tortoise is too light. You really don't need a scale for that.

That looks like a healthy tortoise.

What are your temperatures and do you provide a humid place the tortoise can settle into?
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
Madhouse
Sub Adult

Helen - Thanks - Its 100g

EJ - Thanks - Yes temp all fine.

Thanks - take care
Steph - Wife to an ever patient hubby, Mum to four children, 2 dogs, cat, 3 newts, numerous fish, an eel, 3 dwarf hamsters, my 2 baby torts Mickey & Theo (Med. spur thighs) and Mr Grumpyboots Harries (Adult male Horsfield)
Old 11-09-2007, 10:17 AM   #5
Madhouse
Sub Adult

Does anyone else have any comments please???

Thanks
Old 11-09-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Your doing a great job Steph. Mickey looks great. What's his Straight Carapace Length (SCL)?

Danny
Old 11-09-2007, 01:03 PM   #7
Madhouse
Sub Adult

Hi Danny - thanks for that - nice to know that someone experienced like you thinks Im doing things right!!

His length is 7.5cm - he's grown half a cm in about 6/7 weeks and put on half an ounce. Is that about normal??

Thanks again

xxxxx