Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
EmmaA
Egg

Default New Redfoot

Hi

I have just got an 8 year old male redfoot and called him Bainbridge, as I am new to tortoises I wanted to post you my set up so te more knowledgeable out there can advise me and give me some pointers on setting up the best I can for him.

His previous owners were clueless (even more so than me) so I see this as a little rescue mission and want to get everything as good as I can.

I've got him in a 5by3 foot viv in my conservatory. I have a 10% UVB and 100W basking lamp for during the day and his viv is about 28-30 at the basking end and 25-27 at the cool end. I am waiting for a stat to regulate the daytime temps. He has a heatmat for background heat at night. This a splashproof one with a thermostat and I have it under a 8mm thick sheet of acetal. I've got this set at 24degC.

In the morning he likes to bask under his lamp and then wanders around the consevatory, he has access to the viv but seems to choose not to go back in. He is very active, the consevatory is about 20degC today as it is cloudy it was around 30 yesterday. Is he okay meandering or will he be getting cold, its a tiled floor so probably cooler for him than it is for us? If I let him out in the morning he lets himself back in to bask but as I said doesn't go back in again until the evening after that.

With regards to going outdoors I plan to let him out on nice days. my house is rented so I can't get power to the outside easily. If I restrict his outdoor time to nicer days will he be okay with a hide inside a small coldframe greenhouse linked up to a rabbit run? I figure his hide will be quite warm and waterproof that way?

He is very lively and a real character. His eyes are bright and nose is clear and mouth is nice and pink. He does have pyramiding but all I can do is look to improve everything for him from now on. He is eating well ona diet of weeds (he loves dandelions which are in plentiful supply at the minute), dark greens, fruit (peaches, apples and grapes at the moment) and peppers. I will feed him a pinky once a month. I am sprinkling Nutrabol on his food, just a pinch.

Oh and I am spraying his substrate 3 times aday, his viv is around 70-80% humidity.

Sorry for the long post, I just want to get everything right for him. I am already thoroughly enjoying this very interesting hobby

Thanks

Emma
EmmaA is offline   Reply With Quote