Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 02-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #11
piglet
Adult

Ed may have had luck hibernateing these spieces sulcatas, leopards, redfoots, and Aldabs of tortoise but in my opinion they aren't suitable for hibernation at all so please anyone readig this don't ever attempt it.

D

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:02 PM   #12
EJ
Adult

I can't seem to remember saying/typing that I hibernate these species. In fact three are no tortoises that truely hibernate. That is part of the misunderstanding.

The metabolism slows down as a result of temperature... not like you have in mammals which truely hibernate.

Also, this is not something I try to do. This is a situation I found myself in and cautiously watched my animals.

Please... don't make it sound like I'm recommending hibernating these species and don't make it sound like I'm torturing my animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet
Ed may have had luck hibernateing these spieces sulcatas, leopards, redfoots, and Aldabs of tortoise but in my opinion they aren't suitable for hibernation at all so please anyone readig this don't ever attempt it.

D
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:10 PM   #13
piglet
Adult

I never stated you where torturing your animals or even implied as far as I am concerned thank you.
But what you wrote to me sounded that it wouldn't be detrimental to the mentioned tortoises if they where to be cooled of for hibernation which I think only think mind would be lethal to do so, anyone reading the post that had one of these species and thought about or read about hibernation might think it OK to go a head and do it, as I have said in other posts I don't or try not to answer questions/queries regarding tortoise care as I'm only a hobbyist and certainly not experienced enough to disagree with your expertise Ed

Darren amateur hobbyist

Old 02-11-2007, 07:53 PM   #14
EJ
Adult

Why are you insisting that I'm trying to hibernate my animals listed or even implying as such?

It is not detrimental if the animals are cooled as long as the average temperature is acceptable for survival.

I do hope other readers do have a little common sense in reading my post. No where did I say it was acceptable to hibernate those species.

The point was that good healthy animals can tolerate surprisingly cool temperatures... that's it... that's the only point.

The idea of hibernating these species only got started with your mention and I know that is going to get attributed to me which it shouldn't.

Quote:
I never stated you where torturing your animals or even implied as far as I am concerned thank you.
But what you wrote to me sounded that it wouldn't be detrimental to the mentioned tortoises if they where to be cooled of for hibernation which I think only think mind would be lethal to do so, anyone reading the post that had one of these species and thought about or read about hibernation might think it OK to go a head and do it, as I have said in other posts I don't or try not to answer questions/queries regarding tortoise care as I'm only a hobbyist and certainly not experienced enough to disagree with your expertise Ed

Darren amateur hobbyist
and
Old 02-11-2007, 08:04 PM   #15
pawsplus
Hatched

Here's how I read what EJ wrote: If non-hibernating torts are cooled off too much they will slow down as if they might be hibernating. That isn't good or desirable; nor does he recommend it. He's just saying that if they cool down too much they SLOW down, so that's something to watch for.
pawsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:19 PM   #16
piglet
Adult

Default Re: has any one else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ
Ok... let me see if I can get this point across...

Reptiles are cold blooded. That means their metabolism is temperature dependent. That means that the lower the temperature the slower the metabolism. That means the slower the metabolism the slower the activity level. You can run it the other way.

My sulcatas, leopards, redfoots, and Aldabs have been enduring temperatures into the upper 30s and lower 40s at night... yup they are slowing down.

They don't 'know' it's cooler... it is cooler.

This is actually a lead in to hibernation... most tortoises I've kept are capable of hibernating... including the above mentioned tortoises. Again, it is an adaptation to unfavorable conditions.

(sorry for using your post for an opportunity)

xx
[/quote]
It says here that they are capable of hibernation and they aren't at all

Old 02-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #17
pawsplus
Hatched

Default Re: has any one else!

Quote:
It says here that they are capable of hibernation and they aren't at all
I agree -- I think EJ was just unclear is my point. I.e., they might "hiberate" by slowing way down and being very lethargic, but it's not good for them. Anyway, all I'm saying is that I agree it was stated in such a way to make it seem that he was suggesting that it's o.k. to hibernate RFs, but I don't think he actually was saying that.
pawsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #18
piglet
Adult

OK Elizabeth thanks , Ed miss read your post but hope you see my point it did seem you where ok'ing the hibernbatin of the mentioned tortosies

D

Old 02-11-2007, 09:29 PM   #19
nina
Adult

I think in this case Ed has been less precise than usual with his words. Ed - you said:
"This is actually a lead in to hibernation... most tortoises I've kept are capable of hibernating... including the above mentioned tortoises."
Although you did not actually say you hibernated these species, I hope you can see why your words are misleading or at least open to misinterpretation.

Nina
Old 02-11-2007, 10:41 PM   #20
EJ
Adult

Default Hibernation

I did say the drop in temperature can lead to hibernation. I did not say you should hibernate those species.

With the exception of the Sulcata and Aldabra... those species do hibernate in the wild in the extremes of their range.

The Sulcata has hibernated in the US where temperatures dipped below favorable levels.

Do not misunderstand these words. I am not suggesting that they intentionally be subjected to these temperatures. I'm suggesting that they are capable of adapting as a mechanism of survival.

As long as I'm allowed to post over time the concept of the tortoise as a poikilotherm might actually be understood.
and