Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 04-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
suttysue
Sub Adult

Nows the time to pat yourself on the back, you have rescued these wee torts so they can now be cared for in the correct manner.
Start by feeding them correctly, add a supplement (nutrobol) & give them cuttlefish to get the calcium they need. Bathe them daily in lovely warm warter, this hydrates them and will also encourage them to pee & poo.
Good luck any worries just ask the question, I'm sure there will be plenty of people willing and able to help.
Keep going they realy are worth it.
Sue
suttysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #12
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eremiel View Post
I have put a photo of my new boys in this post (dont know if they are boys)

The dark one is George and the light one is Bilbo.

Im not happy as the title says because i bought my Tortys 3 days ago and took them to an Exotic vet today for a check up so we can start off on the right foot, only to be told their shells are so soft they could have problems and that the poor little things are full of worms!

The pet shop that had them ketp them in a very small Viv and feed them banana and stramberrys!!

I need some help!!! Any ideas how i can make my boys happy and get them healthy again.

Any chance you can send me pictures so we know what species you have , to

Last edited by NATURALIS; 08-11-2013 at 07:07 PM.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #13
Jillyp
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortBabe View Post
Try to provide them with a really good varied diet. http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/s...atabase_14.asp
The above site is invaluable for learning which weeds/plants etc are safe for them to eat, and this forum shall help you with the rest. Good luck with your new torts!
This looks great with pics and info but I'm more confused than ever now. It states Borage is a no-no yet it's sold in the SW mixed seeds packet. This weed malarky is a minefield... but don't let that put you off - it's great that you've rescued them and can hopefully get them hale and hearty in no time. Good luck
Old 04-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #14
Eremiel
Hatched

They live in a 6 foot viv turned on the side with the glass taken out so they dont get to hot and humid. (its just a temp' home till we build one in summer)

They are Russians or Horsefields i have been told.

They are 2 years old in June.

They have a heat lamp on 12 hours aday on a dimmer therm' set to 30'

They also have a UVB strip light on 14 hours per day.

The vet told me not to feed them dry foods (pet shop pellets) So they have all the wild foods i can find. I bought a book on English Wild Plants and crossed ref' the names with the Tortise Trust website.

Im worried at the moment that they are getting to cold at night. I bought a heat mat but dont know how to use it.

Does it need a therm'? How long does it have to be on? Should it be in the cold end or the hot end at night?

Any info at all on heat mats and if i really need one would be great

Thankyou all x
Eremiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #15
NATURALIS
Adult

thanks for sending me the pictures , yes they are horsfield tortoise's , they have grown to quick so need to be feed a weed diet which has plenty of fibre in it , they also look like they need plenty of calcium .
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #16
Eremiel
Hatched

i have never cried in front an Exotic Vet until Sunday that is..... The poor little things i jst cant belive they are so poorly from a pet shop that are meant to care for them.
Eremiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #17
kkenny
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethelandedna View Post
Don't you have to make a certain number of posts before you can add photos?
Yes 5 points needed

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #18
wigwamman
Juvenile

you've had some good tips on here already,so with the propper husbandry things should start to improve for your boys.
chill out a bit,this will probably be a steep learning curve for you ,there are some knowledgeable people on here if you need further help.
enjoy your new hobby
best wishes
dave
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #19
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M
Wink

Night time heat isn't usually necessary with Russians unless your house is really cold! Otherwise they will be fine. Just follow your vets advice. They are still young and hopefully with some tlc they'll be fine. You just need to get them eating some calcium rich foods and plenty of summer sun.

Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #20
Minty913
Hatched

was it ******** **** by and chance? i hate the was they keep there torts i want to buy them all every time i do in there

Last edited by Bindi; 01-05-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: PM OP for establishment name
Minty913 is offline   Reply With Quote