Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 03-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
Eremiel
Hatched

Exclamation A new Owner Who is not happy

I have put a photo of my new boys in this post (dont know if they are boys)

The dark one is George and the light one is Bilbo.

Im not happy as the title says because i bought my Tortys 3 days ago and took them to an Exotic vet today for a check up so we can start off on the right foot, only to be told their shells are so soft they could have problems and that the poor little things are full of worms!

The pet shop that had them ketp them in a very small Viv and feed them banana and stramberrys!!

I need some help!!! Any ideas how i can make my boys happy and get them healthy again.

Eremiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
WriterNick
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to WriterNick

Hi Eremiel
You have done the right thing in taking them to the vets and now that they have been diagnosed the treatment can begin and you can make a huge and positive improvement to their lives!
Other more experienced people will be along to ask some questions and provide some answers but the main things as far as I see them is to make sure that they have a UV bulb and a temperature gradient (ie a hot end and a cooler end) and that they are fed on tort friendly weeds where available and alternatively decent salad mixes such as florette and/or a good quality tortoise pellet such as Komodo Complete Tortoise Diet for example. Follow the vets advice re worming, feed them good food and not the junk that the pet shop gave them, give them access to UV and you can really turn these young torts into happy, strong tortoises with good shells. And of course you will give them your love and that's also very important!
WriterNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
sky
Adult

sorry cant see the pics!!
1 grumpy husband
sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky View Post
Neither can I
Old 03-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M
Wink

The most important things are sorting out their diet, lighting and supplementation. Before we can advise though we really need to know what species the boys are.

Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
can't see them either, it's because it's a direct link from facebook
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
R9ANV
Egg

like the others have said calcium lighting and a good diet will be a great help to them, i cant believe some people if they have pet shops you would think that they would know all about the animals they are selling. i hope they are ok soon but dont expect results straight away it will take a bit of time
R9ANV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #8
TortBabe
Adult

Try to provide them with a really good varied diet. http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/s...atabase_14.asp
The above site is invaluable for learning which weeds/plants etc are safe for them to eat, and this forum shall help you with the rest. Good luck with your new torts!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
yuna1971
Adult

Hmmph...pet shops (some)....

I would say the first port of call is to deal with the worms. Whilst that happens definitely Nutrobal dusting on the food daily.
I am not sure....but would you need to separate whilst treatment is going on?? Perhaps someone can advise on this. Is it something that is (for want of a better word), 'catching'?? If it is, Im wondering if the owner needs to keep both separate whilst the worms are being treated. Sorry, it was just a thought. I dont know the ins and outs of this. Im probably wrong...Im just thinking out loud here
I would say to get a good combined bulb. This would provide the heat and the UV output. (something like the Arcadia D3 160w might be good). Cuttlefish in the enclosure or Limestone Flour perhaps?
Not sure ...would that be a bit of calcium 'overload' though...but then again, perhaps that is what they need if the shells are soft. ??
Others are better equiped to answer the post than I - (ie, the soft shell problem and how to solve it). xx
Whatever happens, hang tight - this wasnt your fault. And it can be sorted. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 04-04-2011 at 12:46 PM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #10
ethelandedna
Incubating

Quote:
Don't you have to make a certain number of posts before you can add photos?
ethelandedna is offline   Reply With Quote