Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 20-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #11
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

I've been paying money into an account for over 8 years for my dog now and have saved quite abit. So much so that I'm hoping i can use some of it to help my son when he start uni in September. You always have to m=pay an excess if there is something wrong with your pet anyway, so you would still have to find that money. Your tort may never have anything wrong with him. You still have to pay for worming, or injections even if you pay insurance.
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #12
Lyn
Adult

I have had to claim back getting on for £10,000 for my cat in the past year and a half and had no problems with the insurance company. I will say that what he has in VERY rare but I know that I would have had serious money worries now if I hadn't taken out the insurance. I have been very lucky with the company I went with.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #13
DAISY
Adult

You have been very lucky indeed Lyn, would have taken quite a while to save £10,000.
I have used the saving method for nearly 20 years now on the advice of my vet and in all these years I have only had two large vets bills, both around £1000 and for dogs. In the ten years I have had Daisy, her most expensive bill was £35 for wormer and beak trimming
The ISA I have running for the animals is currently funding converting a spare room into a tort room It also gets dipped into for the occasional holiday. This is money I wouldnt have had using pet insurance.

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #14
Lyn
Adult

I just have an unfortunate cat and although my other two are also insured, I have never needed to make a claim. (I say, touching wood)
Poor George has acromegaly, diabetes (out of control because of the acromegaly) and three legs. Poor boy. There was a man in the paper with acromegaly last week. His GP made the diagnosis after shaking his hand and it said that only 3 people out of every million get it.
I had only just taken out the insurance a few months before diagnosis. Before that time I had never bothered.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #15
nina
Adult

Default Re: 2 questions - vet and insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumb11
I have had my horsfield a few weeks and just need to know of a recomended vet to register him with. I am in Sunderland in the north east so if anyone knows of a good reptile vet nearby that would be great.

Also, I was thinking of getting insurance for Terry. Can anypne recomend an insurance company ? thanks.
I'm not sure if you've found a vet yet. There is a list of recommended vets on the TPG site (in the database section)
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/T...otectionGroup/
Old 21-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #16
sulcata2big
Hatchling

Default Re: 2 questions - vet and insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumb11
I have had my horsfield a few weeks and just need to know of a recomended vet to register him with. I am in Sunderland in the north east so if anyone knows of a good reptile vet nearby that would be great.

Also, I was thinking of getting insurance for Terry. Can anypne recomend an insurance company ? thanks.
jacqui paterson from stockton is the best vet in the northeast and even has a mention off the tt, her tel no is 01642 587 777, address 4-6 lyttleton drive, hartburn, stockton, ts18 5le
sulcata2big is offline   Reply With Quote