Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 08-07-2015, 10:35 PM   #1
EmmaBee
Egg

Default Outdoor temperatures?

Hello all,

Know I've done this before and I've read through the replies, and resulting offshoot thread, but I'm pretty confused! (easily done with me I'm afraid). I keep freaking out slightly at the "20 in the cool zone, 32 in basking area" I keep seeing for indoor housed torts.

I now have my beautiful tortie baby - a 7 year old Ibera He is loving the outside enclosure (thank you everybody for your input!), but sadly, despite living in the south west the temperatures are dreadful. It's going down to 10 at night so I need to get his heater on as he's really not getting up and about unless I get him out of his bed and give a warm bath. I'm thinking the heater will need to come on at 8am for an hour to get him nice and toasty and ready to eat breakfast. So:
- what temp should i aim for?
We currently have no thermostat as I was going to add this later in the summer:
- what would you recommend on a tubular heater?:
- Is it worth adding a UV bulb to his house/coldframe too?

Thank you!
EmmaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:04 AM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaBee View Post
Hello all,

Know I've done this before and I've read through the replies, and resulting offshoot thread, but I'm pretty confused! (easily done with me I'm afraid). I keep freaking out slightly at the "20 in the cool zone, 32 in basking area" I keep seeing for indoor housed torts.

I now have my beautiful tortie baby - a 7 year old Ibera He is loving the outside enclosure (thank you everybody for your input!), but sadly, despite living in the south west the temperatures are dreadful. It's going down to 10 at night so I need to get his heater on as he's really not getting up and about unless I get him out of his bed and give a warm bath. I'm thinking the heater will need to come on at 8am for an hour to get him nice and toasty and ready to eat breakfast. So:
- what temp should i aim for?
We currently have no thermostat as I was going to add this later in the summer:
- what would you recommend on a tubular heater?:
- Is it worth adding a UV bulb to his house/coldframe too?

Thank you!

I have kept Iberas for over 34yrs, and live in the SE. My tortoises live outside 24/7 without any extra heat. This has not been any trouble during this time.
10c is not a problem, provided it's not that temperature all day long. The temps here go that low, or even lower, but my tortoises still come out to bask and graze the nex day.
Tortoises are a lot tougher than you think.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:20 AM   #3
Gordon
Adult

He will be fine as sandy says they are tough little things mine only have heat early and late in the season but only over night if you have only just got this male it might take him a while to adjust to his new home.
As for giving him UV outside I wouldn't bother as long as he has access to the outside he will be fine.
Also some torts can be like us and take their time in the mornings I know I have a few, just put his food down and when he is ready he will eat he won't starve himself.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:24 PM   #4
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

[QUOTE=EmmaBee;655300]Hello all,

Hi Emma. Great news on you getting your Ibera!

The rules for indoors don't apply at all outside and like Sandy I'm not worried by 10C overnight. Although it does need to be properly warm at least for a while most days and especially so if it's cool at night.

At this time of year, if we're using additional heating, I think the best option is a basking lamp for a couple of hours. That ensures that the tortoise is fully warmed through and active for several hours a day. But you are probably already getting something similar to that from the sun, in the coldframe.

I don't think the uvb needs of your 7 year old Ibera requires you to provide an artificial source inside the coldframe. That's on the basis that he/she spends a while outside daily.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:36 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

Emmabee, how lovely. what is your Ibera called ? I wouldn't worry to much. When mine come out of natural hibernation it is usually even lower than that. As long as dry I think he would be fine without a heat lamp or equivalent though I know for some it is the difference for added comfort. You may wish to consider a cloche over his house if not already - that usually raises the temp a little. Mine never have any heat at all unless it is a real real cool spring and same as Sandy I opt for natural outside rain or shine but I know that is sometimes difficult depending on area you live. Keep dry doesn't matter if sun not in sky......
Old 09-07-2015, 08:56 PM   #6
Daryn
Hatchling

Nothing for me to add really, I have two Ibera and as has already been said 10c at night is fine dont worry.

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 12:12 AM   #7
EmmaBee
Egg

Thank you everyone! I love this forum and your ethos of just keep calm and let them do their thing!

We have called him Graham - he is a rehome due to not turning out to be female. Poor lad. He is really happy, loves lots of attention and is eating well. I've just had him chipped and the vet gave him a thorough going over and he is very healthy. Phew!

Thank you again
EmmaBee is offline   Reply With Quote