Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 10-07-2006, 01:01 PM   #11
veebee
Sub Adult

Hi Darren, yes the one with the sore legs didnt seem to be getting the baths she needed, so her legs are dry and cracked, I have noticed a difference just these last couple of days seem to be getting better. I have been to lots of different chemists none stock Betadine. Our large Boots had some in but would only sell me a 500ml bottle for £17 (it was gigantic), do you know where I can get a smaller amount from, do the vets sell it?

Carl, yes I had a two year old, she is the one with the sore legs, she is quite big, the biggest he had there. She is quite bumpy, but I was reading about Leopards on one of the African tortoise sites and it says this is not a problem with Leopards and not a sign of bad diet or husbandry. Is this what you have read? Two of the others are about a year old and the fourth is one of his last hatchlings. But they are very active, eating and bathing by themselves.

Vivienne
veebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:20 PM   #12
piglet
Adult

HI Vee
Sarah may have betadine she could sell you in a much smaller quantity.
Pyramiding is a sign of poor husbandry in any tortoise .
leopards aren't naturally pyramided in the wild occasionally they do have some bumping of the odd scute but pyramiding I’m afraid is due to incorrect husbandry lack of calcium and dietary d3 are the commonest then inadequate diet will also worsen the problem .
Leopards grow naturally fast and in captivity with a irregular amounts of the correct feed ,uvb and calcium dietary intake most leopards show signs of pyramiding, this doesn't have to be the way feed very high fibre feed and huge amounts of calcium with a very good source of uvb lighting and growth will be smooth .
Vee also if your new leopard has chapped skin due to por hydration its very likely it will be dehydrated internally you must bathe regulary
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:30 PM   #13
veebee
Sub Adult

Hi Darren thanks for the advice, very gratefully received. You say about the very high fibre diet, I have added meadow hay on top of hemp substrate, I gave some grasses I pulled up from the garden and mixed with weeds, calcium and neutrobol. Is there anything else you can suggest food wise?

What grasses could I plant in the garden as a good source of food/fibre?

Any advice extremely welcome. I have noticed these tortoises do like sitting in the bowl of water, are they quite water loving by nature?

Sorry for all the questions

Vivienne
Old 10-07-2006, 01:36 PM   #14
sandy
Adult

I could be wrong here, as I dont keep leopards. But they are much better at eating grass
when they are allowed to graze naturally. Only what I have learnt from Lisa M who used to keep
them.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:46 PM   #15
veebee
Sub Adult

Thanks Sandy, I will start some grass seed off in some trays and could put that in the enclosure on cloudy days, and put them out in the rabbit run on hot days, hopefully they will graze naturally.

Vivienne
Old 10-07-2006, 03:22 PM   #16
piglet
Adult

Vee have you checked out Lisa's site on leopard care there are some very good facts on there,
As Sandy has stated natural graze is far better than prepared foods but the diet you are providing is excellent.
Leopards are misconstrued as desert tortoises but in fact they are open grass land scrub tortoises who take every opportunity to hydrate there system when water is available, in the extreme heat they will hold up (aestivate) till the rains reappear
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:43 PM   #17
carl20
Hatchling

hi vee, remember to put plenty of calcium powder on their food and your diet is fine for them.
also darren suggested growing grass and feeding the grass with water that has calcium powder in and the grass will uptake it and become rich in calcium.

I bathe my leopards everyday and spay them with a water mister about 3 times a day on a hot day. They appear to enjoy the spraying .
carl20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:48 PM   #18
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Im selling 50ml of betadine on ebay for £1.50

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:52 PM   #19
veebee
Sub Adult

Cant believe it!!! I have just this minuted ordered some on a medical site online, 500ml for £9.50. That is just my luck!!!!

Vivienne
Old 10-07-2006, 04:54 PM   #20
veebee
Sub Adult

Thanks for that advice Carl, do you find yours spend quite a bit of time actually sitting in the water bowl? Mine do!!

Vivienne