Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 04-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #11
Beverley
Adult

Thank you all again for your help
Old 13-12-2011, 12:09 AM   #12
phoenix
Hatched

i put booties on my elderly collie as she was unsteady on her feet on the laminate floor...........pink ones they were too she got used to them very quickly as without them she slipped
Old 13-12-2011, 05:47 AM   #13
noneedforspeed
Incubating

I showed my dogs n wooden floored halls were a nightmare you can get stuff to put on there paws out of pets at home think it's called STICKY PaWS. Jet put each paw in the tin wipe it round. Gives them grip. And security. If I had some I would of sent you it but I don't show any more.
noneedforspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #14
Nellie and Morla
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNNEEASTER View Post
I see this problem on a programme called the 'dog whisperer'. What the trainer did was put the dog on a lead and just kept walking it over the wooden floor, giving it treats and praise when the dog walked on the floor.

Could you put them long runner mats down so Lady would always have a bit of carpet to walk on at all times? xx
He also says about rubbish to do with dominating the dog when actually half of the prob dogs he sees are just scared. Imagine, if someone was scared of people dressed in black would it help for someone to beat them everytime they saw someone dressed in black?

As for his wooden floor thing, yes it's good if you're just tempting it and letting it do it itself and then reward it for walking on. No physical manipulation should be made though or it will have a negative effect. I also remember seeing one on a dog that had slipped on a floor in a school and so was terrified of slippy floors. He lost patience cos it wasn't sorted in time for the show so he used the one training method any behaviourist is told NEVER to do. Flooding. Also known as sink or swim. He chucked it on that floor and shut it in until it realised it was fine. You should NEVER do that. It is called sink or swim because either it works and the animal is fine or it sinks, it goes paralytic with fear and will be almost impossible to sort out.
Nellie and Morla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #15
Beverley
Adult

I have sorted this problem, with time and patience. I have more mats down and I stand on the wooden floor to show her its ok to walk on, she's still a little nervous about it but is getting better
Old 12-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #16
Nellie and Morla
Incubating

This is good to hear. Patience and lots of rewards for doing well will really help her here
1 male Noseby panther chameleon
2 White's tree frogs, Lilly (female) and Rollie (male)
1 hypotranslucent smoothie chilli red female bearded dragon, Blaze
Nellie and Morla is offline   Reply With Quote