Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 09-11-2015, 12:49 AM   #1
Hermione15
Egg

Default Digging down

Ok, so this might be a silly question, but I'm new to this...I got my six year old Hermanns tortoise, Hermione, about a month ago. She was kept on tortoise pellets on a small tortoise table. She is now in a bigger table, with topsoil as substrate, which I know needs to be kept damp below the surface. Under her UV/heat lamp it's 32-33 degrees, dropping to about 21-22 at night when it's off, with the 'cool' end being around low 20s during the day and lower at night (I'm afraid I don't know exactly, but I would say between 15-20- the thermometer is at the 'warm' end).
My question is this- Hermione never digs, instead she just tucks her head into a corner and sleeps, or in her old home she used to try and climb to sleep- is digging a natural instinct that she knows how to do, or does she need to be taught to do it because she's always been on pellets? Maybe she is too hot? There is a lot of topsoil in there for her to bury herself in, but she's displayed no interest whatsoever! She occasionally goes in her hide but mostly just stays in her corner....I am not sure how I could teach her to dig, but if it helped I would give it a shot!!

Thanks for your help! Christine
Hermione15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi there. My experience is that really small ones do dig right down at bedtime but as they get bigger this is less the case. Especially when kept indoors I find my 3+ year old hermanns don't do any serious digging but they do make a shallow scrape to settle into sometimes.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:07 PM   #3
Gordon
Adult

I have over 30 hermans both thb and several different locals of thh and I have never seen any of them dig down they will just push into a corner and that's it so I wouldn't worry about it to much.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:21 AM   #4
Hermione15
Egg

Thank you both, that's really reassuring! I keep reading about people's tortoises digging and I thought they all did that. She's happily tucked away in her corner now, fast asleep....on the surface of course! Glad I don't have to get the trowel out and teach her
Old 11-11-2015, 08:55 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I have over 30 hermans both thb and several different locals of thh and I have never seen any of them dig down they will just push into a corner and that's it so I wouldn't worry about it to much.
It must be like Alice in wonderland at your digs Gordon !!

My spurs don't actually dig either of course.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
Gordon
Adult

It gets more like a zoo every day.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:22 PM   #7
GemJam
Incubating

I have a two year old Hermanns and she is definitely a climber! Only seen her dig properly once and cover herself up. When she sleeps, she just puts her head in a corner and seems pretty happy like that.
I've had to put triangles in every corner and a brick on top of her bedroom, so she doesn't try and climb up and out!

1 Hermanns Tortoise - Hettie
GemJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:36 PM   #8
Hermione15
Egg

It's reassuring to know she's normal Head in corner as we speak- although she does seem to be digging a little with her back legs sometimes, but without achieving much! She's a climber not a digger
Old 12-11-2015, 07:27 PM   #9
Jan W
Sub Adult

On the tortoise trust web site they recommended using cut up towels for torts to snuggle into. I have done this for nearly 6 years now and my 2 love them. One never digs down but the other will dig down until shell half covered.

If it suddenly gets chilly at night in the summer when they are outside in their protected /covered part of their home, I cover them over with one of the towels each

Of course it is extra washing!
Jan
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:47 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
On the tortoise trust web site they recommended using cut up towels for torts to snuggle into. I have done this for nearly 6 years now and my 2 love them. One never digs down but the other will dig down until shell half covered.

If it suddenly gets chilly at night in the summer when they are outside in their protected /covered part of their home, I cover them over with one of the towels each

Of course it is extra washing!
Jan
I think that's a good point. I use vet bedding as its pretty tough and can wedge it at a low height. The reason for this is that I read Torts feel safer when dark etc if they feel under cover but physical contact on their shells can be key. none of them get on top they all crawl underneath it. how sweet !