Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 24-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #11
Pussygalore
Adult

one thing that does help is to make sure the tort gets outside in the summer and has a good sized enclosure, if you can then provide a heated house so it can stay outside 24/7 if not then bringing it in at night won't hurt. If you don't have good vet then you could say where you are and members might be able to suggest one however I wouldn't rush into a vets as you'll probably be told whats one can't be changed and the vet will probably suggest x rays which I believe can be costly and will only tell you what you already think. Give your tort a good loving home with plenty of good food and supplements and sunlight/fresh air in the summer, don't hibernate and your tort will be happy and could lead a long life. You could post a photo which would help members to offer advice it might not be as bad as you think.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #12
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
one thing that does help is to make sure the tort gets outside in the summer and has a good sized enclosure, if you can then provide a heated house so it can stay outside 24/7 if not then bringing it in at night won't hurt. If you don't have good vet then you could say where you are and members might be able to suggest one however I wouldn't rush into a vets as you'll probably be told whats one can't be changed and the vet will probably suggest x rays which I believe can be costly and will only tell you what you already think. Give your tort a good loving home with plenty of good food and supplements and sunlight/fresh air in the summer, don't hibernate and your tort will be happy and could lead a long life. You could post a photo which would help members to offer advice it might not be as bad as you think.
There are pictures on the tortoise trust forum, where their are far more experienced keepers with more informed advice. Sorry but true.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 02:32 PM   #13
CherryBrandy
Adult

Christine, sounds like Hermoine is in good hands ! love to see a picky of the little sweetie when able. CB
Old 24-10-2015, 08:52 PM   #14
Biscuit
Egg

Default Following

I can't believe how your situation is so similar to my own. Although I have owned my own tortoise for nearly 2 years I have recently re homed one that is quite bad and rather deformed. I am following in the hope of finding some answers myself. The worrying thing is that I was planning on hibernating mine as he shows good stats on the jackson ratio so thought I would be ok. Would be interested to know if I should hibernate or not was thinking of hibernating Jan - possibly march or shorter if necessary but under strict monitoring and using the fridge method with air pump weights would be taken regularly. Unsure now whether I should?
I think it's great that you have taken one on that is special and we all need to remember that regardless of what they look like it is no reflection on your own care and dedication.
Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #15
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
.........Would be interested to know if I should hibernate or not was thinking of hibernating Jan - possibly march or shorter if necessary but under strict monitoring and using the fridge method with air pump weights would be taken regularly. Unsure now whether I should?
I think it's great that you have taken one on that is special and we all need to remember that regardless of what they look like it is no reflection on your own care and dedication.
Difficult one this because there is a train of thought that if you have just adopted tortoise it may be best not to hibernate as just in your possession and not sure of the background. Especially if may have underlying condition and definitely not of course if showing ill health. I think only you can be the judge of that. There are a few more months you could overwinter and then decide as you propose....ie note drinking/pooping/unusual behaviour. If in any doubt whatsoever though and or not confident, due to all sorts of reasons I would overwinter personally, see how the land lies next year. Good luck. Fabulous he has a loving tlc home too ! CB
Old 25-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #16
Hermione15
Egg

Hi all, thanks so much for your comments! I have replied several times but think I am still in moderation
It's really reassuring to have advice and support. Biscuit, is there anything you can recommend that was particularly helpful?
Hermione is very active, she is busy trampling round her house She has been a bit put out about having her environment changed twice in a month, but I think topsoil is doing her good. She's not eating so much, but can't resist a dandelion flower! Sadly the UVB bulb has stopped working, so I have to wait for a replacement to arrive.
Hermione15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 11:31 PM   #17
Biscuit
Egg

Cherry brandy,
I am considering over wintering as my preferred option, I'm very scared of the whole hibernation thing anyway even for my own. Vet says both seem healthy even with his bad shell but like you say you never know if they have underlying issues. Will monitor closely over the next few months and see, fridge is already set up ready just in case.
I have known the tortoise for a while, I even bought old owner a reflector and bulb as I couldn't believe he didn't have one, made out I had a spare because I didn't want them to be offended. I'd feel terrible though if he didn't make it through hibernation. That would make my care worse than theirs x
Old 27-10-2015, 10:50 PM   #18
Biscuit
Egg

Unfortunately I've not got much advice, which is why I wanted to follow your post lol. All I know really is that adopting at this time of year is hard as I don't feel I can improve on him much as I don't like keeping them indoors but to cold to be outside now. Other than feeding correct food and supplements i changed his substrate, but then that's a great start. But come spring it'll be a different story, outside with lots of room to move about lots of fresh plants / weeds, lots of natural warmth and uv. Just need to make a new outdoor home as mine was only big enough for one tortoise so need to make a bigger and better one.
Following in the hope I can help him more, but I guess the damage unfortunately is already done but really want to improve his future growth and well being xxx
Old 29-10-2015, 08:57 AM   #19
Pussygalore
Adult

I think x rays would be the only way of telling what harm if any has been done internally and I'm surprised the vet didn't suggest them or did he? maybe the tort isn't as bad as you think.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 10:14 AM   #20
Biscuit
Egg

Vet did say he could do x-Ray's but said he didn't think it was necessary I think however that I might have them done x