Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 01-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Laura1988
Incubating

Default Cotswold wildlife park

I visited Cotswold wildlife park at the weekend and I saw that they were keeping their redfoots in what looked like a very dry environment. The substrate looked like sand and was bone dry and the tortoises were all dusty. They were being kept with radiated tortoises. Is this type of environment ok for reds? As I always thought they needed hot humid habitats to keep there eyes clear and their skin supple.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
cherylahutch
Adult

They do need a moist environment yes does not sound like a good set up for them
Old 02-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

best thing is to send them a polite email saying your concerns, you may find they were in temporary housing, I've seen redfoots in zoo's, parks etc and they have always been in the tropical house roaming around on the floor. A polite message will usually get a reply and if you have any doubts pay another visit in a few weeks time then complain but give them a chance to reply first. The local council issue places like that their lisence and they have to meet certain standards of care so they would be the one who would pay them a visit. If you do have to complain find a good care sheet and email that but make sure its from a good source, have a look at the tortoise trust site as they are usually known to most.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
Laura1988
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
best thing is to send them a polite email saying your concerns, you may find they were in temporary housing, I've seen redfoots in zoo's, parks etc and they have always been in the tropical house roaming around on the floor. A polite message will usually get a reply and if you have any doubts pay another visit in a few weeks time then complain but give them a chance to reply first. The local council issue places like that their lisence and they have to meet certain standards of care so they would be the one who would pay them a visit. If you do have to complain find a good care sheet and email that but make sure its from a good source, have a look at the tortoise trust site as they are usually known to most.
Thank you, I think I will drop them an e-mail, just wanted to check that i was thinking along the right lines
Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Gordon
Adult

I assume you are on about the ones that are in the inclosure outside by the snakes bats etc if you have a look they have access to the inside where there is a bath that they can go in also the person in charge is very knowledgeable in the care of all reptiles so maybe you should look before you leap
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
Laura1988
Incubating

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnip View Post
I assume you are on about the ones that are in the inclosure outside by the snakes bats etc if you have a look they have access to the inside where there is a bath that they can go in also the person in charge is very knowledgeable in the care of all reptiles so maybe you should look before you leap
Actually no, they are no longer in that enclosure, they are now inside near the crocodiles with no access to outside. While they do have access to a bath this does not change the fact that the substrate is very dry and they looked very dusty. I am not disputing the fact that the person in charge I'd very knowledgeable, I was concerned about their substrate and humidity and I was trying to get more info in order to ease my concern. I find your tone in "maybe you should look before you leap" rather condescending, I spent a lot of time looking, and it appears to me that maybe you could take your own advice and indeed take a look before you leap...
Old 02-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura1988 View Post
Actually no, they are no longer in that enclosure, they are now inside near the crocodiles with no access to outside. While they do have access to a bath this does not change the fact that the substrate is very dry and they looked very dusty. I am not disputing the fact that the person in charge I'd very knowledgeable, I was concerned about their substrate and humidity and I was trying to get more info in order to ease my concern. I find your tone in "maybe you should look before you leap" rather condescending, I spent a lot of time looking, and it appears to me that maybe you could take your own advice and indeed take a look before you leap...
if you were that concerned instead of getting worked up about it you could of talked through your concerns with one of the keepers maybe they were in there as a temporary measure
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
Laura1988
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnip View Post
if you were that concerned instead of getting worked up about it you could of talked through your concerns with one of the keepers maybe they were in there as a temporary measure
I appreciate that they may have been there as a temporary measure. While I was there I did not see a keeper to talk to, i only saw 2 keepers, 1 hosing down the camel enclosure and 1 feeding the penguins. I did not get worked up about it, I had a concern that I decided to try and get more advice on(i.e make sure that my thought that humidity and damp substrate is optimum). I have since e-mailed them expressing my concern at the substrate. I am not trying to bad mouth Cotswold wildlife park or the keepers, I was simply concerned about the habitat of the redfoots and wanted to seek further advice before jumping in feet first.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
Pussygalore
Adult

you're doing the right thing! most decent zoo's, parks etc should appreciate comments about their place and if worded politely should be only to pleased to reply. Hopefully its only temporary housing but if so wouldn't it be helpfull if they put a notice up saying so, I'm sure there are many visitors that do notice things amiss and a notice would save a lot of worry. We went to Dudley the other year and there was a large turtle upside down under a waterfall, the force of the water kept it that way and when I told a keeper they thanked me and went to see to it, I also asked why the Sulcatas didn't have any water and was shown their usual enclosure which was being cleaned out and the water was sorted. Don't be shy to say something, the turtle could have drowned if I hadn't and there were plenty of other visitors that saw but didn't say anything. There are only so many keepers and they can't be everywhere at once, besides speaking up if one of the only ways to get things improved if they need it, this applies to anywhere that has animals, go and say if you have concerns but also give them praise if you see something you like.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
Laura1988
Incubating

They replied today it turns out they are in there winter enclosure until the weather is warmer. They also ensured me that they spray the enclosure regularly to maintain humidity. I'm glad I e-mailed them, they have put my mind at rest.