Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 11-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #1
TommyTurtle
Egg

Default What if a tort isn't hibernated?

Me again

Merlin managed to suppress my worries about tommy's sleeping habits, but i just had another thought (brain will be hurting very soon!)

The first time i saw tommy tort (don't think he had a name before this), he was in his guinea pig cage before christmas pre-destined as an alternative to a puppy. He had a very small layer of sand on the bottom of said cage. I then took him in, early feb as was abroad when i was asked if i would take him. I know he hasn't hibernated properly if at all......will this have any effect on him?

I know women have a tendency to be grumpy if they don't get enough sleep. Is this the same for tortoises??
TommyTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Merlin M
Adult

It is perfectly fine not to hibernate tortoises! Shouldn't do him any harm at all!!
If the temps drop they will try and hibernate but if you just keep the temps the same as int eh summer will be just fine...

There are a great many keepers who do not hibernate their tortoises!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Catwoman63
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTurtle View Post
Me again

I know women have a tendency to be grumpy if they don't get enough sleep. Is this the same for tortoises??
Hey cheeky sod lol, men get very grumpy when not had enough sleep, eat, s*x etc lol.

I hibernated my lilly for the first time in her 4 years, i only did a short period though as it was her first time, i was very nervous about it and did think why am i putting myself through this worry, what if somethings happens, she dies or has organ or eye damage etc........so it is purely your choice whether to hibernate or not. x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin M View Post
It is perfectly fine not to hibernate tortoises! Shouldn't do him any harm at all!!
If the temps drop they will try and hibernate but if you just keep the temps the same as int eh summer will be just fine...

There are a great many keepers who do not hibernate their tortoises!
There are also many great keepers who do hibernate their tortoises (species dependant)!
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
emmajh
Hatched

My two girls are 13 yrs old I've had them 3 yrs and just hibernated them for first time was veryyyyy nervouse and only did 6 weeks! But I did it and they came out the other side all fit and well. Also hibernated my boy who's 11 who never hibernated before and he came out fine too! Will hibernate for longer this winter
emmajh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
Andy Robertson
Hatched

Hey,

I got a THB from a friend, he is seven, with a fair bit of pyramiding on his shell and never been hibernated, I decided to put him into his first hibernation in January, this was only for six weeks, but he is now awake and doing fine. Personally if the breed is supposed to hibernate, then if you can you should try as i think it is benificial for there health even if it is only for a short period of four weeks. All my THB's from 12yrs to 18months were hibernated and all doing fine now they are awake. Hibernating period ranged from 4-13 weeks.
Andy Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman63 View Post
Hey cheeky sod lol, men get very grumpy when not had enough sleep, eat, s*x etc lol.

I hibernated my lilly for the first time in her 4 years, i only did a short period though as it was her first time, i was very nervous about it and did think why am i putting myself through this worry, what if somethings happens, she dies or has organ or eye damage etc........so it is purely your choice whether to hibernate or not. x
Not had enough sleep Bev your sounding a bit grumpy
It is your choice to hibernate it will do no harm there are a lot of breeds that do not and a lot that do only because of temps where they live im sure if it were warm all year round things would be different imo
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
Merlin M
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareandCo View Post
There are also many great keepers who do hibernate their tortoises (species dependant)!
yes and i do hibernate!

The only reason I only said that many don't was to reassure that not hibernating was not going to do any harm, I think it goes without saying on the forum right now that many do hibernate with the many post hibernation threads. Was not trying to say either way is best just that not hibernating is not wrong (but yes hibernating is also not wrong!)

Last edited by Merlin M; 11-03-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
emma_mcraf
Adult

I also overwinter my tortoises. They are active and well and not hibernating them is my personal choice. There are an awful lot of long threads on here debating the pros and cons of hibernating and overwintering. I believe it's a personal choice, so do a little research and see what sits most comfortable with you.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by stells View Post
Your point being??
I'm sure Clare can answer for herself but I don't know what is wrong with her statement. Some do and some don't, and some of us do some of the time or with some tortoises depending how they have been doing etc.

In my personal opinion and experience it's not harmful to keep hermanns awake all winter.

Having said that I think we have reached a tipping point on the forum where hibernating tortoises is starting to be regarded as a peculiar thing to do.