Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 15-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
Watermelon
Adult

Default Stinging nettles

Just cycled head on to a bush of stinging nettles. I am now stung all over my body ow! Might not of happened if I hadn't of drunk a couple of glasses of wine before hand. Its just made me think.... torts can eat stinging nettles but do they not get stung by them at all? Maybe a stupid question... I have only ever fed deadnettle to the torts never bothered with stinging nettle (for obvs reasons). x
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

Ouch!! Hope you soon feel less sore. I've never fed stinging nettles to mine either. That has a lot to do with me not wanting to get stung mind you. I'm bad enough picking bristly ox tongue!!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
cherylahutch
Adult

My little boy decided to help picking weeds on Friday and decided a stinging nettle was a good one to pick bless him he is only 3 but he said he was going to stick to picking dandy lions in future. They seem to be able to eat prickles without much problem they must have really strong mouths and tongues I suppose. Hope you are not in too much pain more wine may be needed :0)
Old 16-07-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
cherylahutch
Adult

Mine do like dead nettles they seem to prefere the white to the red tho
Old 16-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
Levi
Hatched

If anyone is interested it's not to late to take part in the World Stinging Nettle Eating Championship.

Details here..... http://calendarcustoms.com/articles/...-championship/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwqTM...e_gdata_player
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
anna m
Adult

No thanks Levi
I don't feed nettles in case they sting my boys mouths
Old 16-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
Levi
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermelon View Post
Just cycled head on to a bush of stinging nettles. I am now stung all over my body ow! Might not of happened if I hadn't of drunk a couple of glasses of wine before hand. Its just made me think.... torts can eat stinging nettles but do they not get stung by them at all? Maybe a stupid question... I have only ever fed deadnettle to the torts never bothered with stinging nettle (for obvs reasons). x
I found it was very difficult to ride a bike after a few beers so I gave up. (gave up riding that is. )

I don't bother with them either, mostly on the grounds that they are EVIL, but I have plenty growing in the garden for the Painted Lady's, Red Admiral's and Peacocks etc. (nature has some wonderful excuses to do as little gardening as possible )
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #8
Watermelon
Adult

They are evil still not recovered yet from the stings! Serves me right I suppose haha. At least it was a squishier landing than usual. Levi that nettle comp is insane!!!!
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote