Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 07-08-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
Laura1412
Egg

Default Readi grass

Hi all just wanting some advice on what u all think about using readi grass in my tortoise hide area I'm having problems with Clyde and substrate at the mo his table as got in top soil from wilko which I have just this last week put in wen Clyde is digging down into his substrate at night in his hide area he sneezing about 6/7 times then I neva hear him again till he's burrowing the night after he's great eating food active weeing pooping fine iv been to vets for check up as the sneezing concerned me but the vets said he's in clean bill of health in good nick just said to change out the substrate as it's irritating his nose the top soil is not loose I wet it regularly and if I squeeze it in my hand it holds shape but water does nt run out iv used coir some lucky reptile tortoise bedding soil/coir soil/sand orchid bark n last week just changed to the wilko top soil but still the same sneezing wen burrowing so iv been reading and found some people having luck with readi grass but I no it can't be wet coz of mole spores but I can offer humidity in the main enclosure in his top soil just the hide area I'm wanting a substrate that don't seem to cause irritation any ideas and opinions welcome
Laura1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura1412 View Post
Hi all just wanting some advice on what u all think about using readi grass in my tortoise hide area I'm having problems with Clyde and substrate at the mo his table as got in top soil from wilko which I have just this last week put in wen Clyde is digging down into his substrate at night in his hide area he sneezing about 6/7 times then I neva hear him again till he's burrowing the night after he's great eating food active weeing pooping fine iv been to vets for check up as the sneezing concerned me but the vets said he's in clean bill of health in good nick just said to change out the substrate as it's irritating his nose the top soil is not loose I wet it regularly and if I squeeze it in my hand it holds shape but water does nt run out iv used coir some lucky reptile tortoise bedding soil/coir soil/sand orchid bark n last week just changed to the wilko top soil but still the same sneezing wen burrowing so iv been reading and found some people having luck with readi grass but I no it can't be wet coz of mole spores but I can offer humidity in the main enclosure in his top soil just the hide area I'm wanting a substrate that don't seem to cause irritation any ideas and opinions welcome
Soil is their natural substrate, and I have never had problems with it in over 38yrs.
Have you tried spraying the surface so there is no loose blowy dust?
They need to be able to dig in, in housing which they cant do with grass.
Did the vet check the nares, as something might well have got stuck in them.
Do you not put your tortoise outside this time of the year?

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:10 PM   #3
Laura1412
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Soil is their natural substrate, and I have never had problems with it in over 38yrs.
Have you tried spraying the surface so there is no loose blowy dust?
They need to be able to dig in, in housing which they cant do with grass.
Did the vet check the nares, as something might well have got stuck in them.
Do you not put your tortoise outside this time of the year?
Thanks sandy yea I spray the top layer every morning and pack it down with my hand the vet looked and said nothing up his nares and just said to apply nasal drops onto the nose to keep the nasal passages from drying out but Clyde neva sneezes in his main enclosure only once iv noticed him sneeze and that was wen he was under his lamp and the soil had dried out and was a little loose on the top layer,Clyde does not get outside at the mo as iv not got asuitable area for him to go in I am in the process of sorting him a enclosure for outside just not got it done yet I just hate to hear him keep sneezing he neva digs far down in any substrate coz he starts to sneeze but as I say he is fine in the main part of his enclosure no runny eyes or nose eating great very alert active
Laura1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

all sounds good Laura. I would weigh him and if goes down then do a recheck as he sounds like a tortoise should and as vet said change of substrate is ideal to as natural as possible. CB