Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 17-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #1
Anthons
Incubating

Default Help! Poorly tort

Please can somebody give me some advice. I have just noticed bubbles a fluid coming from my torts nose and his eyes are sunken, one looks like it's not blinking. I cannot get a vet appointment till Monday. What should I do to help him?

Sandra.
Proud Mum of 2 children and 2 much better behaved Hermann babies
Anthons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
Gordon
Adult

The only thing you can do is give it a nice warm bath clean it's eyes and nose separately and keep him warm 24 hours a day at 30 will help
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #3
Anthons
Incubating

Thanks Gordon. He bathing him lots as he is dehydrated. He has eaten which is good. Just about to clean his eyes. I am very worried for him
Old 17-01-2015, 05:32 PM   #4
Pussygalore
Adult

I've heard of some putting a sick tort onto a towel instead of soil etc so there's nothing to annoy such as dust his nose eyes etc, I hope you get on ok.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
burnt toast
Adult

Do you (or family, friends, colleagues) have a nebuliser? Do you have any
F10? using seperate wipes use the F10 to clean each arm including the very top where he may be wiping his nose on it. (this will stop him re-infecting himself)
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #6
Anthons
Incubating

He is on Lingocel substrate which is dust free, he likes to bed down in this . I might change it tomorrow when it's not dark. I don't have a nebuliser or know what F10 is?. I have put extra heat in his house so he keeps warm. After I cleaned his eyes he did seem to be blinking again thank goodness.
I really appreciate your advice guys! Thank you
Sandra.
Old 20-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #7
Hanako
Hatchling

Nebuliser you can usually buy in pharmacy. F10 you would have to buy over the internet. It is a cleaning solution for pets which kills bacteria and viruses. There was some research done which shows if you use nebulise the tortoise with F10 diluted with water, it helps treat the rhinitis. It worked wonder on my tortoise when nothing else worked. If you go through this forum, you will find more info about how to nebulise the tortoise.
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #8
Anthons
Incubating

George has now been to the vet. His runny nose has stopped but he was still very dehydrated and his Cloaca seemed very, um... open. The vet ruled out RNS as his nose and eyes have been dry since sunday. He thinks there is an infection somewhere because of his open cloaca. He has been given baytril, reptoboost and glucose and a vitamin injection. Before he left the vets he passed lots and I mean lots of sticky looking fluid. I thought it might be the glucose solution that the vet gave him but he was convinced it wasn't. When we got home George had passed a huge poop which looked like the lignocel substrate. He then seemed really perky stomping round the house, better than I have seen him in days. His opening also looked a bit more closed. I am thinking he has been ingesting his substrate and may have had a blockage? ? Going to keep him indoors till I can remove the substrate and go back to simple soul/sand mix. Fingers crossed he is on the mend. Lots of baths and antibiotics till we return to the vet on Monday. Thanks for all your advice, I will keep you updated.
Sandra.
Old 21-01-2015, 06:52 PM   #9
Suze65
Adult

I'm glad to hear he's feeling a bit better, just a guess, but maybe he was constipated, I'm sure Danny will have some idea. Constipation can make them very ill, I had a small tort, very constipated a couple of years ago, and she was very ill. I would keep giving him plenty of warm baths, I hope he continues to improve.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 06:53 PM   #10
Suze65
Adult

I would use just top soil, no sand.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote