Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 01-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #1
carryonsue
Egg

Default eating and drinking

Hi ,
My tort pebbles is fab i`ve had her 2 weeks now, shes getting better with her eating now she loves her soaked flower fruit and banana pellets but does not seem to drink a lot though, I bath her every day to hydrate her is that ok but she doesnt drink while shes in the bath either? plus how much calci dust and nutrobol is best to give her everyday any clues it does not say on the tub, her basking spot is 32/33, also she would not eat unless i fed her now she eats from the bowl herself she loves cucumber/lettuce/rocket/ etc,she does sleep alot too is that because she still only young 2-3 years but when shes awake she very active, she went out in the garden today and loved it she moved so fast for a little tortoise lol, also she was biting the stone pebbles embeded in the garden path why was she doing that,
any extra tips and to do or not to do`s and advice welcome from all you guys and girls thanks.
Susan and Pebbles
carryonsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
Catwoman63
Adult

She will sleep a lot more if she is very young, my hatchling doesn't get up till about 10.30am, basks, eats, basks and sleeps, eats again then goes to bed.

I've never seen most of my torts drink either, but I spray cold water on their food twice a day and bathe the hatchling everyday and the older torts twice a week x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
gwizz
Incubating

Have my Yoda about 7-8 years and I can prob count on one hand the amount of times ive seen him drink. He ducks his head in when he has his baths but apart from that im lucky if i see him drink :P

I alternate calci dust and nutrobal on his weeds and also sometimes give a day off from the suppliments. He has a cuttlefish also and sometimes ive made the odd calcium 'cake'.

Its amazing how fast they move isnt it - its a myth they are slow lol!

Shes prob just being inquisitive with the pebbles - testing if its edible :P although if they are tiny stones just keep an eye on them, my yoda had some gravel in his encl. but i saw him actually take one in his mouth so i removed them immediately as didn't want any damage ...

X

Children 2.0.0 - Benjamin and Matthew
(Horsfield Tortoise 1.0.0 - RIP Yoda)
Cats 1.1.0 - Ellie May & Eddie Solo
Husband 1.0.0
gwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #4
carryonsue
Egg

Default eating and drinking

Thanks for advice and help ev1, I think shes settling down nicely now she`s eating more and quite likes her bath now too,sometimes shes up at 8am other days she does not get up till 11am, yes i will watch her with the stones on the path i think like you say she was just being inquisitive with them, my pebbles is so funny she has her cuttlefish in her enclosure but does bite it but sits on it like shes surfing lol,she loves sitting on the stones in her tort table too, is it ok to put spider plants in her enclosure i`ve seen a few with them in and they look nice but will they eat them and are they safe to put in with them.
Thanks Susan and Pebbles.
carryonsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
becciwales
Adult

Yes spider op,ants are safe but not all torts like them. I have aloe and Echeveria in mine but they never touch them!

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:12 AM   #6
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by becciwales View Post
Yes spider op,ants are safe
Are you sure spider op,ants are safe Becci?

Danny
Old 06-04-2014, 12:22 AM   #7
becciwales
Adult

I hate autocorrect!! I meant spider plants.

I thought autocorrect was meant to make it look right!!

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote