Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #21
Mrs Frog
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
I see your point. I think I am worried because she has Aspergers syndrome and although she copes really well with it and has adapted to hold down a full time job, she still finds certain situations hard. She doesn't deal with other people very well and finds it easier to go with whatever they say so I think she will find it hard if she disagrees with someone, she wont speak up and could end up feeling bad about it.
I agree with you then,she shouldnt have to do it if she doesnt want to,I know that a friend of mine who copes really well wouldnt like the worry of doing it
Mrs Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #22
emma_mcraf
Adult

Do adults on the spectrum have to do jury service Wendy? It may be worth finding out as she could be exempt from it.
Mind you, just because she's been called doesn't mean she will serve on the jury. I recall that there were about 20 called when I did it, they randomly selected the jury members and the others were free to go home.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #23
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
Do adults on the spectrum have to do jury service Wendy? It may be worth finding out as she could be exempt from it.
Mind you, just because she's been called doesn't mean she will serve on the jury. I recall that there were about 20 called when I did it, they randomly selected the jury members and the others were free to go home.
She doesn't know what it entails really, and I didn't really know the full impact until I have read the stories on here. She is quite willing to do it but I'm not sure she will be when she gets there. She may surprise me and be fine.
The only mention of being exempt through mental health did encompass her condition, I can't remember what it said but I think it was something to do with being under a psych or on drugs. Her condition never warranted any drugs and she never really had any help except for a diagnosis and to be told she would cope. It's probably only recorded as a one line comment on her medical records.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #24
yuna1971
Adult

I used to be a Jury Officer when I worked at Bristol Crown Court.
It's not as bad as some think to serve and it's still one of the most important things you can be asked to do for your country.
There can be a lot of waiting around but it's simply as some cases are listed for a trial but when it comes to calling them on - the situation can change, ie a 'cracked trial' which means its withdrawn by the Prosecution, or the defendant pleads guilty at the last minute. The jury pool is randomly selected (if my memory serves) about 12 weeks before - using the electoral roll register. It is at the point of being summoned that you have the chance to state reasons why you cannot serve, or due to certain circumstances wish to defer. Being deferred as Jackie quite rightly stated does not mean you won't be called. Just means that your name will be added to another pool in 3 months time.
Even I wasn't exempt and I was working right in amongst it at Bristol... I had to do it at Newport. I found it interesting. I was on a trial and I think as long as you take a book, knitting, Nintendo DS, whatever then the time does go by - but until the Court actually know whether a trial is going to 'crack' , or theres another unforeseen sudden problem ,or that there are no other trials that day then it is a bit of waiting around . You get travel subsistence, and a daily subsistence rate which you can claim back at the end. Any wages lost if its a normal day you work (and would have got paid) will be paid back to you.
I think if you or your daughter writes to the Jury Officer at the Court where she has been summoned, Wendy they may accept her being exempt. Sometimes if they have enough in terms of numbers in that pool, they can let certain people go. I can't 100% say that will def be the case but most court staff are very helpful and sensitive to people's personal circumstances. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 11-02-2013 at 07:51 PM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #25
pagan queen
Adult

Thank you Rach, that is a big help.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
Old 12-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #26
Leah Marie
Incubating

Will she be able to cope with being shown graphic images of injuries. When I did jury service we were shown photos of a man who had been glassed at a pub which weren't pleasant.
Having said that I enjoyed jury service as the sense of responsibility is very maturing when you are only in your early twenties as I was.
Tell your daughter not to go along with the other jurors if she feels they are wrong, I was with a woman who said "let's just find him guilty because I've got to pick my kids up soon" which is terrible when you are dealing with someone's life.
Leah Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #27
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Marie View Post
Will she be able to cope with being shown graphic images of injuries. When I did jury service we were shown photos of a man who had been glassed at a pub which weren't pleasant.
Having said that I enjoyed jury service as the sense of responsibility is very maturing when you are only in your early twenties as I was.
Tell your daughter not to go along with the other jurors if she feels they are wrong, I was with a woman who said "let's just find him guilty because I've got to pick my kids up soon" which is terrible when you are dealing with someone's life.
Another good point, I'll have to warn her about that, though she's pretty good with that kind of thing. She has watched casualty from when she was 3, and wants to be a midwife eventually.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband