Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 16-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
Lilblighter
Egg

Default Torn Between Two Torts - Your Thoughts.

Hello. Well I researching which tortoise I feel I can best look after given my time and available indoor and outdoor space. I don't want.

At the moment, I'm concentrating on Horsefields and Hermanns torts, but to help guide me in the general right direction, can anyone advise me on the pros and cons of both species. I'm talking very generally here, as I recognise each has it's own dietary and keeping requirements. I thinking more high level stuff, that's maybe not in the books... Something along the lines of "Oh Hermanns, the only drawback is [whatever], you get the idea.

To help you help me, it's worth knowing what facilities I have. To be completely open and honest, budget is also a big factor, but that aside, if I can give a tort a suitably happy habitat with the correct dietary requirements, I'll be doing something good and in some cases far more than many people will do.
Available space:-
Indoors, I have a small spare room which occasionally is used for visitors, or more often when I'm in the doghouse. I have a chest of drawers which could accommodate a small tortoise table, with natural light in the mornings and good ventilation. I have power there, ready for lamps/ heating etc.
I also have an unheated conservatory that gets natural light throughout the day.

On suitably warm, sunny days I like to keep our tortoise outside. I have garden space for a small run, around 4th x 8 ft, but that doesn't get direct sunlight. I could create a new raised bed area as my tortoise compound, around 6ft x 4ft that is bathed in sunlight most of the day, weather permitting, possibly also creating a link into an area of my son' greenhouse.

I also have two movable boxes that can be link to create a portable run, pen I if need to on our small garden lawn.

Natural foods, weeds, flowers are not a problem , as we have an allotment which can provide what we need as excess from our weeding or we can grow the correct plant/flower combinations ourselves, most importantly organically.
I'd like a 4in+ healthy tortoise, but I recognise that's likely going to be too expensive.

I'm sure you've got questions to ask me, so I'll leave it there for now.

Thanks,

Andrew.
Lilblighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Lilblighter
Egg

Default Torn Between Two Torts - Your Thoughts?

Thanks to posting this the first time on my pesky little phone, it decided to make some changes to what I wanted to ask, so here it is again, sorry. Still trying to get to grips with it:-

Hello. I'm researching which tortoise I feel I can best look after given my available time and indoor and outdoor space. I don't want to make the wrong decision, so any and all advice is appreciated.

At the moment, I'm concentrating on Horsefields and Hermanns tortoises, but to help guide me in the general right direction, can anyone advise me on the pros and cons of both species. I'm talking very generally here, as I recognise each has it's own dietary and keeping requirements. I'm thinking more basic stuff, that's maybe not in the books... Something along the lines of "Oh Hermanns, the only drawback is [whatever], you get the idea.

To help you help me, it's worth knowing what space I have. To be completely open and honest, budget is also a big factor, but that aside, if I can give a tortoise a suitably happy habitat with the correct dietary requirements, I'll feel I'll be doing something good for the little chap/chapess and in some cases far more than many people will do.

Available space:-
Indoors, I have a small spare room which occasionally is used for visitors, or more often when I'm in the doghouse. I have a chest of drawers which could accommodate a small tortoise table, with natural light in the mornings and good ventilation. I have power there, ready for lamps/ heating etc.

I also have an unheated conservatory that gets natural light throughout the day. I understand that polycarbonate roofing and glass will likely inhibit certain UVA/UVB rays, am I right?

On suitably warm, sunny days I would like to keep our tortoise to be outside. I have garden space for a small run, around 4th x 8 ft, but that doesn't get direct sunlight. I could create a new raised bed area as a tortoise compound, around 6ft x 4ft in another area of the garden that is bathed in sunlight most of the day, weather permitting, possibly also creating a link into an area of my son' greenhouse for constant warmth, with the correct lighting fitted.

I also have two movable boxes that can be link to create a portable run/pen, if need to on our small garden lawn.

Natural foods, weeds, flowers are not a problem, as we have an allotment which can provide what we need as excess from our weeding or we can grow the correct plant/flower combinations ourselves, most importantly organically.

I'd like a 4in+ sized healthy tortoise, but I recognise that's likely going to be too expensive and I'll have to start with a little fellow and enjoy watching them grow... slowly.

I'm sure you've got questions to ask me, so I'll leave it there for now.

Thanks,

Andrew.
Old 17-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
lynnedit
Hatched

I have Horsfields. If you want just one tort, I think either one would be fine for your variety of set ups. Horsfields do like to roam, lots of room, so an indoor tort table (when not hibernating, IF you do that), should be large enough.
I think Hermann's get along better in small groups.
Horsfields are more territorial.
There are exceptions in either case, of course.

I like the sound of the 6'x4' run connected to the greenhouse. That would extend the tort's season outside.
Eventually you might be able to add another section off of a different side, to expand the space? If not, your tort will be lucky.
Pacific NW, US
lynnedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
kkenny
Sub Adult

I have Hermann's, they are are perfect to keep alone and do not tend to dig and climb as much at Hosefeildii.

I dont think there is much in it with regard to care and expense between these two species. Both have great personalities and are one of the more hardy types.

Once you have the set up, basking and UV lamps etc then a tortoise shouldn't be too expensive, just the electricity cost really. Like you say you can get weeds free, a couple of bags of topsoil and your are done really.

Your idea of a run near a greenhouse is perfect, the tort will need to take cover somewhere warm so that sounds just the job. There needs to be a bit of shade too.

Best of luck.

p.s next time you can just click the edit tab to alter a post if you want to add anything.

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008

Last edited by kkenny; 17-08-2012 at 08:15 AM.
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
animalmad
Hatched

i have a hermans but its just a case of preference i think, both set ups are similar and care is similar. both are said to be good starter tortoises (quite hardy i'm told) like someone said above horsefields like to dig but hermanns don't tend to.

just enjoy which you choose, either are good starter tortoise and relatively small varieties
Old 17-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
Herpard
Adult

I have kept both hermanns and horsfields.

Care and diet are pretty much the same but horsfields prefer a deeper substrate to be able to burrow down.

I have found that hermanns are a lot calmer/friendlier than horsfields and don't dig or climb as much.

If you want a small tortoise I would say to go for the small subspecies of hermanns
Herpard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
anna m
Adult

I keep 2 Hermanns boys and they are friendly
Horsfields are easy to over fed as they are often hungry
Hermanns don't dig or clumb as much
I don't keep Horsfield and I'm sure they are lovely too
Old 17-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
MeImNot
Incubating

Both have almost the same requirements...I guess its just what you fancy most (I prefer hermanns ).

You're right, UVB will be completely blocked by glass.
MeImNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
Lilblighter
Egg

Thank you all for your responses. It's exactly this type of commonality of opinion which will help me make a decision. It does seem that I've got to decide between an independant hungry digger and climber and a more docile and sociable character. Each has it's interest. I am glad too that both species are a little more hardy and that's important to me. The main thing for me as well is at that least I can be confident that the available space I have will be enough to start off with.

I have the feeling that owning a tortoise is something of an evolutionary experience (pardon the pun) for both the owner and the tortoise.

Thanks again,

Andrew.
Old 17-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
TillyTortoise
Adult

I own both species.. Both are great I probably do prefer the Hermanns if i'm honest.