Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 21-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
kathryntat
Egg

Question Is it too ealrly for Burt to hibernate?

Hi,
Burt lives outside in his own little garden with a very well insulated house. I have been spending the last cpouple of weeks resarching hibernation and had deided to put a heater in his houe with a thermostat.
Burt seem to have deided that tyhe he is ready to go to sleep. He won't come out of his house and is not eating. Should I make him come out and eat or should I let him, do his own thing?
Kind regards
Kathryn
P.S. Burt is an 8 year old european Spur thigh.
kathryntat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
Julia
Egg

Default Same problem

I have the same problem with my 9-year old hermans. He has actually dug himself down inside his cold frame and seems to want to hibernate alreay.
I want him to do his own thing. Perhaps this means that we'll get a very early and cold winter. They might know much better than us!!

Julia
Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryntat View Post
Hi,
Burt lives outside in his own little garden with a very well insulated house. I have been spending the last cpouple of weeks resarching hibernation and had deided to put a heater in his houe with a thermostat.
Burt seem to have deided that tyhe he is ready to go to sleep. He won't come out of his house and is not eating. Should I make him come out and eat or should I let him, do his own thing?
Kind regards
Kathryn
P.S. Burt is an 8 year old european Spur thigh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia View Post
I have the same problem with my 9-year old hermans. He has actually dug himself down inside his cold frame and seems to want to hibernate alreay.
I want him to do his own thing. Perhaps this means that we'll get a very early and cold winter. They might know much better than us!!

Julia
Some torts that are kept outside are really starting to slow down now. It is really a little bit too early for them to go down,they are reacting to the temperatures and reducing light.
It would be better to try and keep them going a bit longer. If you have no upplimentary heat outside then try bringing in overnight and bathing to try to get them going a little.
Old 24-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
kkenny
Sub Adult

I dont have the answer to this but can I ask what heater you are putting in? I am looking for one for a shed.

Thanks and sorry to go off track a little.

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
kathryntat
Egg

Hi,
I got the 2ft long heater from the shelled warriors shop on ebay.
kathryntat is offline   Reply With Quote