Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 13-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
sky
Adult

Jackie, my youngest was like this tickly cough etc, they thought she had asthma and we had inhalers,and it has come to light that she suffers with hay fever and these tablets soon cleared up the cough and runny nose.
1 grumpy husband
sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #12
CJ
Sub Adult

Hi Jackie! I have asthma and have a constant cough. It's worse first thing in the morning and then again early evening. There can be a wide range of asthma symptoms which is why doctors find it difficult to say whether it is definitely asthma. My daughter has had it since she was 18 months old, but it wasn't confirmed for definite until she was about 9!! Her's has got better with age though.

Did the antihistimines work, as you said the doctor said to stop them? When mine gets bad I use antihistimines, it calms it down for a couple of days. Mine is caused by allergies (fur, feathers, dust, hayfever... you name it!!), so maybe the new indoor bunny could be having an effect?

Try not to worry too much, I know it's hard, but if it is asthma doctors will get it under control - it sometimes takes trying different inhalers to find one that suits.
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #13
anna m
Adult

My daughter and my mum have asthma, I have allergies to I don't know what (but have a powerful set of lungs all the same)

You can get hoovers that deal with pet hairs and such but I find the best thing to dust with is these micro cloths, use them very damp. The dust doesn't go flying then

Any exercise that makes the lungs work and expand capacity is good. Johnny Wismular (not spelt right) had bad asthma as a child and his mum made him take up swimming, he became a world class olympic swimmer.

Signing is also good exercise for the lungs
anna m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #14
Lyn
Adult

Jackie my 12 year old was told he has asthma after a bad chest infection last year (I was too, after having pneumonia). He doesn't have attacks as such but just gets a bit wheezy sometimes so uses the pump on occasion. He also uses a preventer in the morning. I was really worried at first but he is fine and I always make sure he takes his inhaler to school especially on days when he has PE as he sometimes gets wheezy when playing sport. Hugs to you. It is a worry being a parent isn't it?
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #15
Mrs Frog
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
Jackie my 12 year old was told he has asthma after a bad chest infection last year (I was too, after having pneumonia). He doesn't have attacks as such but just gets a bit wheezy sometimes so uses the pump on occasion. He also uses a preventer in the morning. I was really worried at first but he is fine and I always make sure he takes his inhaler to school especially on days when he has PE as he sometimes gets wheezy when playing sport. Hugs to you. It is a worry being a parent isn't it?
Thank you everyone

Everytime he coughs i panic.When I was working fulltime before having a family,I used to think being a mum must be the easy option.I worry about everything all the time
Mrs Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 03:32 PM   #16
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

my son was born with asthma, but he did grow out of it. It is really scarey when they start wheezing and coughing. The worst reaction he had was when he touched nettles. Do you have a steam cleaner, they are brilliant if you or anyone in your family have asthma. Thinking of you love, xxxx
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #17
Mrs Frog
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME SHELL View Post
my son was born with asthma, but he did grow out of it. It is really scarey when they start wheezing and coughing. The worst reaction he had was when he touched nettles. Do you have a steam cleaner, they are brilliant if you or anyone in your family have asthma. Thinking of you love, xxxx
we have just bought a huge steam cleaner last week,he just coughs or clears his throat,there is no wheezing or difficulty in breathing and he isnt distressed or anything,it just seems like it is such a nuscience for him
Mrs Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #18
Lyn
Adult

Hope it clears soon. I found that plug in air freshioners make my son wheezy.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #19
ingisim
Hatched

No advice to add, but just wishing your son well very soon. XX

Two kids, two cats - Herbie Hermann arrived 28th October 2008
ingisim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #20
DAISY
Adult

Sounds to me like your son could have something called sinus drip. Sounds nice lol but is basicly just all the rubish from a snotty nose running down his throat. It causes an irritable cough and throat clearing which can become a habit, and the cough can be worse in the morning when the crap pools in his throat. Its usualy worse after a cold.
Id look into antihistamines and possibly a nasal spray if the doctor does rule out asthma as its often caused by allergies.
How do I know, cos ive had it since I began keeping hedgehogs but cant bring myself to part with them

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote