Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Old 17-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
mobile
Egg

Smile Hi, from NE Scotland

Hi,

My name is Carl and I've recently joined the forum hoping to gather enough information to ascertain whether a tortoise is a suitable pet for me and my family.

I've always had a fascination for tortoises, possibly encouraged by watching Blue Peter as a boy. I recall the annual event of putting the tortoise into hibernation.

I'm now at the stage where I would like to consider getting a tortoise, but I have so many things to find out before I start. I'm not the sort of person who jumps in feet first, without considering matters and wouldn't consider taking on something that I believe I could not provide proper conditions.

My first consideration must be to find out which species would suit my conditions and then I can start looking at requirements. I have tried doing some research but there appears to be a lot of conflicting information, so I was hoping that some members here could point me in the right direction. I guess my ideal would be a species that does not hibernate or become too large, is there such a thing? It must also be a species that would be reasonably easy to obtain, bearing in mind that I live in NE Scotland and it's not brimming with reptile stores here

I look forward to chatting with other forum members and being part of the community.
mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Andy Robertson
Hatched

Hi there,
I live in the north east as well. I keep THB torts, got 4 females, 1 male, 3 juveniles and one newly hatched. The juveniles and newly hatched are kept inside on large tables.
THB,s are very easy to keep if you start off with the right equipment.
I could send you photos on my set ups, to give you an idea of what they need. If you do decide you want to get a tortoise I could let go of a couple of my juveniles? I also have loads of spare equipment ie, ceramic lamp holder, t5 Arcadia lighting, and loads more. It will be cheaper than the shops! Along with that at least you will no where the torts come from and see there set up. Let me know what you think as I will be going away on Tuesday for three weeks work.
Cheers Andy
Andy Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
mobile
Egg

Hi Andy, thank you for your reply. Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a THB tortoise? Do they require hibernation?
Old 18-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
Leo's_Ma
Egg

Hi Mobile, welcome to Shelled Warriors. THB is a testudo hermanni boettgeri it's an Eastern tort that can get to the size of a dinner plate and yes in their natural habitat they do hibernate but many people don't hibernate torts and they seem to manage just fine. I think just about everyone here that is from Scotland own a THB because they are a hardy species and can tolerate the cold better, in saying that they will still need heat provisions. It is a good idea to chat further with Andy, equipment is very expensive from pet shops and often you are sold stuff you don't need and items that can endanger the tort. I think Andy is the man to help you on your fantastic adventure of becoming a tortoise owner. There is a lot of conflicting info on here too, but if you follow what Andy is doing you and your tort should have a very long and happy life together.
Welcome to shelled warriors.
0.1.0 ~ T. h. boettgeri
0.2.0 ~ Guinea~Pigs
0.0.10 ~ Assorted cold water fish
Leo's_Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
mobile
Egg

Hi Leo's_Ma, thank you for the clarification of what THB is. I have now done some reading on this species and its requirements for hibernation. It is hibernation that makes me anxious and the reason I said that I would prefer a species that does not hibernate. It is too cold to hibernate tortoises in a shed or out-building here and I don't have a frost free garage. This basically leave me with the refrigerator option, which I'm not too keen on due to having to buy and run one. I also understand that hibernation is the time that one is most likely to lose their tortoise.

What do people here think about Redfoot tortoises (Chelonoidis carbonaria)? I beleive that they do not require hibernation. Are they relatively easy to care for. Lighting and equipment shouldn't be a big problem, as I am somewhat knowledgeable on most lighting technologies, including mercury vapour, metal halide etc.
Old 18-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
Suze65
Adult

Hi Mobile and welcome. As has been said Hermans are a good tort to start with, I wouldn't say most people don't brumate (hibernate) their torts, some do and some don't for various reasons, but you can successfully keep your tort up thro the winter as long as you give it the right conditions. As for reptile shops or pet shops, you would be better looking for a good private breeder, Naturallis ( chris) on here is in Scotland, I don't know if he's near you, and he breeds torts all year round, you could PM him. There are 3 types of Hermans , Testudo Hermanni Hermanni are the smallest, so require less space, I think Chris has got these.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012

Last edited by Suze65; 18-03-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

My opinion is Hermanns are the easiest to keep and are less prone to the likes of RNS in colder, wetter places like north east scotland.

RNS is runny nose syndrome which if not caught in time will kill them, can be caught from other torts, can be caused by stress, can be caused by cold+damp combination
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
mobile
Egg

Hi Suze, thank you for your advise. Unfortunately the forum will not allow me to see anyones public profile, so I'm unable to PM anyone.

I'm interested to know members opinions on skipping hibernation.
Old 18-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Merlin M
Adult

Hi am am in the East of Scotland. Hermanns are a good tortoise and so are Horsfields, both hibernate in the wild, but as some have said if it really worries you then dont and they will be just fine!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi Carl

yes as said above, Chris (NATURALIS) who posts on here breeds tortoises and he is quite near you. Personally I like to buy from a breeder rather than a shop but many people here have bought tortoises from reptile shops and had no problems.

I only know about Hermanns. These can be kept sucessfully in Scotland and most of us have them outside some of the time and indoors some of the time. My belief is that they thrive on being outside in suitable conditions, but due to our climate indoor facilities are needed as well.

Hermanns can be kept without hibernating them. Keeping them up all winter means providing mediterranean conditions indoors which can be done with various heating and lighting gadgets.

Mine live outside in summer and I've improved my facilities for them over the past few years. But it's possible to start with a simple indoor table set-up for indoors and a protected area outside for nicer days in the summer.