Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 09-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
Inca08
Egg

Default No certificate with new tortoise

Hi,my husband came home 2 nights ago with a present for me...a 6 year old herman tortoise,the thing is,the seller never gave him a certificate for her...i already have 2 hermans and both have article 10 certificates so i know they arent meant to be sold without them,i have tried contacting the seller but have had no joy getting through,what do i do now?
Inca08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Chances are the tortoise is over 10 cm in which case it should be microchipped as well...

I would keep trying to get hold of the seller to find out if they do have a cert for the tort before you do anything else..how long have you been trying?
Old 09-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Did you get a number for the tortoise? You don't actually have to receive the certificate, but the number.
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Inca08
Egg

I have been trying to contact them since yesterday morning...and yes she is well over 10cm but she hasnt been chipped either :/
She also has an overgrown beak so i will be taking a trip to the vets but do i get her chipped? is she legally ours? so confused
Old 09-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
Inca08
Egg

And no she didnt come with a number...
Old 09-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

The A10 situation has become a complete nonsense, about 8 or 9 out of every 10 people I would bet don't actually know what they are or what they are for let alone the microchipping at 100mm thrown in for further confusion. It's a lack of information and explanation in simple English at the point of sale in pet shops. A certificate may be handed over but never an explanation of how important it is to keep it along with your own important documents like birth certs etc.

To answer the question, the seller is breaking the law by not providing the A10 (or even the number if that is the case but not sure about that and if it is then it's daft as a number proves nothing really as anyone could give any number that came into their head) and by not having the tort microchipped.

I'm not sure if the buyer is breaking the law or not by accepting it. If the seller is giving it to the buyer as a free gift then it is not breaking the law and I think doesn't need microchipped either. The buyer would have to get a certificate in their name if they ever wanted to sell it later or breed from it or both.

DEFRA should keep things very simples and make life easier for all
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
Box girl
Sub Adult

It is my belief that it is only the seller that has the problem here. A buyer has done nothing wrong.

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
Kirkie
Adult

Be careful. Under CITES buying is stated alongside selling as a commercial activity. Best endeavours to contact the seller and obtain the certificate number in the first instance.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalhealth...idance/GN3.pdf
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
Be careful. Under CITES buying is stated alongside selling as a commercial activity. Best endeavours to contact the seller and obtain the certificate number in the first instance.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalhealth...idance/GN3.pdf
Hmmm that's what I thought...
Old 09-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
Inca08
Egg

Oh no...so no certificate,no tortoise then,she may well have to go back if it turns out she doesnt have a certificate as i really don't want to get into any trouble I only wish my husband had notified me on his intentions to buy me another tortoise,then this wouldnt have happened,but bless him for trying,lol.