Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 25-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Default Solarglo v Arcadia Combi bulb test (latest Arcadia 160w readings page 7 onwards)

You may remember I was going to get a Solarglo 125w bulb to test against the 160w kindly donated by Arcadia, well I have and here are my findings...

The Arcadia is currently showing 182 uW/CM2 at 12 inches which is the same as it was when the test was started.

The Solarglo is currently showing 39uW/CM2 at 12 inches which is the same as it was when the test was started.

How long have I been testing the bulbs I hear you ask, well a whole 2 hours . Yes, I got the Solarglo yesterday (fortunately for only £24 odds online and not the £43 asking price in P.A.H.).

Yes, the Solargo is producing a whopping 39 which is around 10 uW/CM2 LESS than the old Solarglo I took out .

Since the bulb is guaranteed only to light up for 6 months it looks like I'm landed with it, no mention of how much UVB it produces apart from 'optimum levels'. On the other hand, Arcadia state that their bulb produces around 180 or 185 uW/CM2 at 12 inches (can't quite remember which) and mine is showing 182.

I had a Megaray which produced only 70+ when new and was down to 54 within 4 months or so.

100 uW/CM2 from a bulb = 195 from the sun and that is good, 80 is still decent but 39 is just plain crap.

Conclusion, if you can afford a rolls royce don't buy a lada

BTW, the temps are more or less the same on both bulbs even the the Arcadia is 160w, Solarglo 29c and Arcadia 28c both at about 14 inches now and after a couple of hours. I will take temps again later, might need lowered.

EDIT> temps are now 34c under both at 14 inches or thereabouts after 6 hours on

Last edited by Alan1; 29-06-2011 at 07:39 AM. Reason: update
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
suttysue
Sub Adult

Oh I'm so not understanding this gobbledegook but I assume Arcadia are better than Solaglo ? Thanks for the info
suttysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Beverley
Adult

Alan, that's quite a difference in performance. Where did you get your Arcadia bulb?
It's good of you to take the time to test these for us
Old 25-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
Alan, that's quite a difference in performance. Where did you get your Arcadia bulb?
It's good of you to take the time to test these for us
I was given it free to try out way back in May when they came out but just using it now but Paul (16 shells) got his here http://www.reptilica.co.uk/Arcadia-D...-UVB-UVA.phtml which is germany and about 7.50 delivery on top OR this one here at Rocket 49.99 but free delivery though you may not get free delivery to NI http://www.rocketaquatics.co.uk/arca...0w-p-3989.html .I'm sure Rocket was a recommended seller by the Arcadia guy
Old 25-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
SeeShell
Adult

Thanks Alan - that's really interesting. I want to buy one imminently so Arcadia it'll be!
SS
SeeShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeShell View Post
Thanks Alan - that's really interesting. I want to buy one imminently so Arcadia it'll be!
SS
I got my solarglo from the surrey pet supplies site too and was impressed with the delivery and prices. large glow light lamp holder £13, I've seen it on sale for as much as £28!! £24 odds for the bulb when it's £43 in pets at 'ome, it's not their fault the bulb is crap. the pellets were cheap too. pity they don't sell arcadia. they do have powersun though at a decent price http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/z...-uv-bulbs.html there were problems with powersun though, not sure if sorted or no. I've contacted them to see if they'd consider selling them

Last edited by Alan1; 25-09-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 25-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
loublou95
Hatched

Thanks Alan, I have been looking to buy one for a while now but wasn't sure which one to go for, but I am now going to go with Arcadia
Jenna
loublou95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
cath
Hatchling

Alan that's good to know I'm currently using the solarglo so considering changing it now, may be irrelevant and a stupid question BUT do these bulbs at same wattage cost the same to run? xx

Cath
cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
TortoiseBea
Hatched

Send a message via Yahoo to TortoiseBea

I also would like to replace my bulb when it blows/becomes old but the arcadia only seems to be in 160w, am I right? my current bulb is only 120 watts so I guess it wouldnt be suitable?
Old 25-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by cath View Post
Alan that's good to know I'm currently using the solarglo so considering changing it now, may be irrelevant and a stupid question BUT do these bulbs at same wattage cost the same to run? xx
They would cost a little more to run being 160w compared to 125w or 100w. they would cost the same to run as other 160w bulbs though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortoiseBea View Post
I also would like to replace my bulb when it blows/becomes old but the arcadia only seems to be in 160w, am I right? my current bulb is only 120 watts so I guess it wouldnt be suitable?
They were going have have a 100w ready late summer, not sure if out yet but they designed the 160w to produce less heat than other 160w's do and I can confirm that it is producing the same heat as my 125w Solarglo. Not sure if the 100w would produce less heat than other 100w's though.

A 160w bulb is supposedly more stable than a 100w, that was a reason given for the megarays going from 100 to 120w I remember but no of course they have gone back to 100w