Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 14-05-2008, 12:43 AM   #1
neildunne
Incubating

Default Redfoot WONT eat weeds....

I have two fedfoot babies which i got off Darren a few weeks ago which took a while to eat. They are both eating ok-ish at the mo, the only problem i'm having is that the smallest of the two will not eat weeds for anything I've tried the works, dandelion, dead nettle, plantain, mallow, pansies (flowers and leaves), rose petals and leaves, forget-me-nots.....you name it and i've tried it lol. They both eat a wide variety of fruits just fine though which i alternate evey other day. Will it do the little one much harm eating just fruit as i just cannot for the life in me get it to eat any weeds............Neil
neildunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 12:58 AM   #2
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Neil,

Have you tried lacing the weed leaves with juices from some fruit?

Strawberry is supposed to be a good one for this.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 01:25 AM   #3
neildunne
Incubating

Good thinking Ade, never thought of that i'll give that a try on Thursday as 2mro is fruit day lol. Cheers buddy
Old 14-05-2008, 01:54 AM   #4
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Neil, try seperating this one tort which is giving you concern and try the weeds laced with the fruit tomorrow, it wouldnt be any harm anyway.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Old 14-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
joanna
Adult

Hi Neil

I struggled at first to get Humphrey eating weeds, I used to get a mixture and blend them up with a strawberry, mango etc. to a pulp. It keeps well in the fridge and for the first couple of days just fed that. Then I mixed it with ripped up leaves - reducing the amount of blended and increasing ripped weeds over a week. Then as Ade said just weeds with the juice of fruit squeezed over.

It only took 2 weeks to get her to eat the weeds normally and for ages now will readily try anything. I used to add nutrabol in the mixture as she turned her nose up at food with that on - which she still does unless on fruit so I always supplement the fruit now
joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
Abram
Egg

How old is the smallest one? Cos if hes a small hatchling he may not eat for a week or two since he is still feeding on his yolk. If thats not the case, then the idea with the strawberry juice is great, cos that might get him to eat. Also, try feed them in places where they feel secure, like under some plants from the enclosure or something. Our 3 babies which are also from Darren really love eating their weeds behind the plants and not on the slate. They only serve the fruits on the food slate
Abram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
neildunne
Incubating

Ade & Joanna, thanks for the ideas guys Was weed day today and what a success!! They have both really got stuck into their food, and the smallest one is still eating after ten minutes whereas on weed day it would sniff, try a couple of bites and be away in a minute or so. What i done was what you suggested Jo, and i blended their weed into a pulp with a little bit of mango, and it seems to have done the trick, thank-you guys!! Bye the way Jo, how is your little red doing which you collected from Darrens on Chester day?........Neil
Old 15-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
joanna
Adult

Glad to hear they've had a good feast!
I've never done weed days / fruit days, always thrown it all in together adding fruit to the weeds 3-4 times a week - but think I will look into it further as this seems to be what most keepers do.

Chester's eating fine dandelion flowers and sedum seem to be the fave so I'm limiting these so theres a variety, not sure about weight gain though as I know its different to meds but when I got her (her for now til I know what sex it is!) she was 38.4g (26th april) and today weighed 45g. Seems alot but have used different scales today as got my own and was borrowing from a freind before - so will have to get them back to see if there's a difference.

Her shells still soft round egg sack area but she is young, I'm hopefully going to get time later today to get some pics then I'll post them and see what everyone thinks
joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #9
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Neil,

Thats great news that you have sucess feeding weeds with this little one.

Ade