Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 13-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #11
Abram
Egg

UV transmission through clear polycarbonate

The transmission of UV through clear polycarbonate is shown in Table 4. These measurements were carried out using the Power Puck radiometer as before. This clearly demonstrates the increased transmission with increasing wavelength.

% Transmission of UV dose
UV A UV B UV C UV V
Clear polycarbonate disk 88 28 0 94

Hopefully this will get us back to tortoises. We were really happy to see them enjoying themselves with our without UV light...
Abram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #12
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Great pics

I'm sure a few hours without UV won't do redfoots, a rainforest species, much harm.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 08:01 PM   #13
Abram
Egg

They were there for just 30 mins Henry, we wanted to see if they'll eat some house grown weeds
Abram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 08:11 PM   #14
swad1000
Adult

I just wanted to make sure people didn't think that putting tortoises in greenhouses, conservatories etc, would recieve any natural UV, certainly any significant amount at least. From your own table only 28% of UVB is transmitted.

They need to be outside for this to happen, as you have pointed out there is alot of confusion over what does and does not transmit UV, and not everyone is aware that not all clear materials transmit UV, in fact in would seem very few actually do.

The only one I've ever seen as classed as suitable is acrylic, and that blocks effectively all wavelengths below 300NM, so still blocks some of the UV needed by tortoises.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #15
LilyLoo
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to LilyLoo Send a message via Yahoo to LilyLoo

aww great pics, spoilt little torties they're very lucky
Old 14-04-2008, 10:43 AM   #16
joanna
Adult

Great pics! I bet they enjoyed those fresh, young weeds!
joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 12:12 PM   #17
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

On the question of UV-

standard acrylic and polycarbonate do not allow the transmission of significant amounts of UV light. For acrylic at least there are specials available that do allow such transmission.

Standard and horticultural glass does not allow the transmission of any UV but very old glass does.

Pure acrylic and polycarbonate (PPMA) do allow the transmission of UV, but materials are almost always coated. Its the coatings that prevent the transmission of UV.

I am not questioning the UV transmission of the conservatory roof over the lovely torts in the pictures.

It might be that UV is a bigger issue for those of us keeping Med species eg Hermanns as these have high UV needs.

I'm with SWAD1000 in that I feel this is in general a neglected area of tortoise keeping. Standard cold frames and greenhouses will always block out all the UV.
Old 14-04-2008, 06:27 PM   #18
DAISY
Adult

Your torts look like they enjoyed themselves.
To be honest my reds dont spend a great deal of time near their uv strip, choosing to move from one hide to another via a quick dip in their water bowl so I wouldnt worry about a ramble in the greenhouse.

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote