Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:04 AM   #11
Belinda
Hatchling

OK, I give up then, is it some sort of thistle though do you think ?
Old 08-04-2008, 09:11 AM   #12
sandy
Adult

Abram

Sorry if I sounded abrupt, but if I and others have asked once for whole plant pictures for ID
purposes, we have asked a hundred times <g>. Its very difficult to ID from just a leaf or bit
of a plant.
Number four is of the dandy/sowthistle family so edible. I dont know the exact name sorry.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
Old 08-04-2008, 09:27 AM   #13
Belinda
Hatchling

I think the thing is Sandy, with respect; pictures of the whole plant have been asked for hundreds of times...but Abram didn't know this, he wasn't here when it was asked for again and again. So, for you it was 'the straw and camels back' syndrome after asking for something many times in the past, but for him he was a new straw who didn't know the camels back was full or the reason for it being full. Is this analogy making sense, it seems like some sort of ridiculous kids fable

Maybe you could put a sticky at the top of the Edible Weeds and plants forum laying out the best way to get weed ID's. Personally, I find it hard anyway, even from just a picture...I'd like a description of the site, the texture of the leaves and stem, the underside of the leaves and even a ruler next to it (or a hand) so we can see the height and size of the plant/ for some easy ones, whcih are obvious, this isn't necessary i guess, but for the more unusual things then it helps to have extra details, descriptions and being able to put the size in context.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #14
Abram
Egg

We completly understand Sandy's position here, but without a sticky or some rule for posting here, new people like us (new on the site) wont know what they need to do. And to be honest with you, even tho, I may have seen your point Sandy, I thought you were quite harsh on us.

Next time I'll take pictures. Depending on weather I'll post some pics soon. We are newbies but we do want to offer our reds the best food available in the summer so we're very kean to learn what exactly is edible around here

Number 4 is one of those hairy/stingy type of plant. I'll repost pics of the full plants as soon as I make them

Thanks all for your help.

Michael &Madalina
Old 08-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #15
sandy
Adult

Sorry for my words that upset members.
I will refrain from IDing plants and leave it to others. As I cant help being me sorry.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
Old 08-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #16
Abram
Egg

You didnt upset us Sandy, we didnt completly understood your reaction... It does makes sense now and we did took it under consideration Next time we'll post pics here it will be the whole plant. I was just saying, like Belinda mentioned, that maybe it would be easier to avoid this problem if there would be a sticky explaining that it is easier to identify plants if the whole plant is in the picture.

Please dont feel that you've upset us, it does take more to upset us that this You are doing a great job as a moderator and we wouldnt be the ones to say different after all the help this site has given and gives us!!
Old 08-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #17
piglet
Adult

Sandy is a valued moderator she is trying to make it easy on us all dont take offence please thank you , Sandy please answer these threads still your imput is valued as always

Right weeds

1st Stinging nettle edible but I dont use it
2nd Wild carrot none edible
3rd Young dock leaves none edble
4th as its not a whole plant id I will say this is hedge mustard edible
5th Ragwort toxic very
6th Feral oil seed rape high in oxalic acid but edible
7th Goose grass edible but not as a sole weed
8th ribwort plantain edible

D

17 years old 25 years ago
Old 08-04-2008, 02:11 PM   #18
Abram
Egg

Thanks Piglet, now all i need to do is find a place where the edible ones grow.

Anyway, this whole thing seems to have gone wrong. It wasnt our intention to upset any moderators or admins, or other people. So if we did we apologise!! All the moderators on this site are valuable and the information received is second to none.

So Sandy please keep up the good work and keep posting here!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #19
Belinda
Hatchling

Wow, this has got well blown out of proportion, don't things tend to very quickly spiral when the written on word on forums is interpreted in a certain way. Sandy I wasn't upset or offended and there is no need to feel that you don't need to ID plants in this section, that is an over-reaction.....I was simply explaining that a sticky might save you getting exasperated wtih people not posting things incorrectly for identification ( and you did seem a bit exasperated
Quote:
Please PLEASE please can we have pictures of the whole plant, it makes IDing so much easier.
). I know that you've asked time and time again for things posted in a certain way, but people don't know that as new people can't mind read. :P That's all I was saying, no upset needed on any side, and certainly nobody doubted Sandy's role as moderator or her value, that didn't even come into the discussion - did it ????
Old 08-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #20
CJ
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy
Sorry for my words that upset members.
I will refrain from IDing plants and leave it to others. As I cant help being me sorry.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! Please keep being you Sandy, I always wait
for you to come on and ID when I put a plant pic up!!!
Closed Thread