Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 10-10-2021, 07:04 PM   #11
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortydat View Post
The fertility rate is so high and it would be interesting to know whether it was one of the males responsible or all three but not sure how you would find this out. Will keep you out of mischief sorting them all out presumably they have to be kept humid.
I reckon that would take a lot of years to work out so for that reason we shall just say who's the Daddy.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:13 PM   #12
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne G View Post
Whoo hoo!!! How lucky you are. I put lots (I can't remember the number without looking it up) of Mee eggs in the incubator and little by little disposed of the rotten ones until now I'm down to six that still look pretty good. The three that hatched from my previous batch a couple months ago are doing good, but one of them has no eyes and will eventually have to be euthanized. Can't bring myself to do it yet because he's eating and drinking on his own and seems to be getting along ok.

Your new babies are beautiful!!!
I have a couple of spur thighs with no eyes from different parents one is 6 and one is 3 and they do their own thing eating and drinking and survive well as long as things don't change too much in their pen but I accept that they will be with me for all their lives.
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 12:00 PM   #13
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
These are from the first cluch of 59 eggs laid by Emma they were divided into three tubs and for some reason this tub all hatched first then the other two tubs started to hatch four days later. It seems that once the first one starts to pip it sends out some sort of signal and low and behold all the others starting from the first pipped egg start hatching.
As the eggs are soft shelled they tend to go round and round and cut a lot of the shell with the sharp edges of their scutes a bit like taking the top off a boiled egg.

Next to hatch will be Claires 54 eggs laid two weeks later then Mary brown laid her 69 eggs about four week later so probably won't start hatching till Christmas time.
Where do you get your inspiration for their names?!!

The hatchlings are gorgeous, Gordon.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 01:17 PM   #14
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
Where do you get your inspiration for their names?!!

The hatchlings are gorgeous, Gordon.
Not sure but you so far have 39 babies....
Old 13-10-2021, 07:34 PM   #15
emma_mcraf
Adult

If I added my human babies and my current animal babies, it's only about 10 out!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 18-10-2021, 12:38 PM   #16
sandy
Adult

Great babies Gordon, you have certainly got your hands full now:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 06:31 PM   #17
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Great babies Gordon, you have certainly got your hands full now:0)
I'm up to 43 now out of the first clutch (49) I think there are two more that will come out.
I'm not sure why more people don't keep them as they are so easy to look after and will literally eat anything and don't need as much heat as a Mediterranean type of tortoise.
Old 18-10-2021, 08:43 PM   #18
sandy
Adult

Quote:
I'm up to 43 now out of the first clutch (49) I think there are two more that will come out.
I'm not sure why more people don't keep them as they are so easy to look after and will literally eat anything and don't need as much heat as a Mediterranean type of tortoise.
I know if I were a lot younger I would keep them:0) But a lot of keepers are not aware of their husbandry so just dont know:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 10:37 AM   #19
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
I think it's a space thing for a lot of people. We have only so much room in the garden and to add a heated shed plus have room for them to wander is why I've never gone for a larger species.
Out of interest, what do they eat, Gordon?

Old 21-10-2021, 11:00 AM   #20
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
I think it's a space thing for a lot of people. We have only so much room in the garden and to add a heated shed plus have room for them to wander is why I've never gone for a larger species.
Out of interest, what do they eat, Gordon?
My adults live in the tortoise room on the floor with dried grass as bedding the temp down on the floor area is probably only 16_18 and they are happy with that. I do give them a heat lamp when it gets cold but they aren't that bothered with it.
As for what do they eat the answer is they will eat almost anything. Mushrooms are a big favorite and this time of year the are eating pumpkins a whole large one every other day so not a great cost. They also will graze on the lawn and seem to eat anything they can find including nettles and cow parsley.