Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 04-12-2015, 09:09 PM   #21
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
How are things?

In humans you can buy chloramphenicol eye ointment over the counter, thinking eye ointment would be easier than drops. However, I would not suggest buying it as would recommend vet or expert advice first. I am no expert...

I had a look at a vet site and they do recommend chloramphenicol for tortoises. Also commented that swelling is usually due to a bacterial infection.

Not sure this helps, but if you are discussing with a vet, just thinking ointment easier to use.

Has anyone had any experience with this?
Yes I have used the ointment (golden eye) I used in conjunction with the drops I mentioned (same active ingredient. I preferred to use the drops during the day as I used them as a wash, first few drops. And used the ointment overnight, massaging it gently in all directions. I think once the eye is swollen shut its difficult to get them in contact with the eye, so I preferred the drops as water seeps everywhere and I felt the drops might do the same.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #22
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Yes I have used the ointment (golden eye) I used in conjunction with the drops I mentioned (same active ingredient. I preferred to use the drops during the day as I used them as a wash, first few drops. And used the ointment overnight, massaging it gently in all directions. I think once the eye is swollen shut its difficult to get them in contact with the eye, so I preferred the drops as water seeps everywhere and I felt the drops might do the same.
Do they still do Golden eye ....that's good to hear. It was originally for styes if I remember correctly, but then we all use to run a ring on those....had to be gold - maybe that's where the name came from CB
Old 06-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #23
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Thanks for such useful tips.

So far, fingers crossed, I haven't had to worry about this.
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #24
GemmaR
Egg

Thank you so much for all your help (I know this was ages ago!) We changed the substrate to sand and soil and various drops and baths but she didn't seem to improve at all. We took her to the vet and she's been on and off antibiotics (mostly on) ever since. It looks like she has a deformity in her mouth which is letting food rot which was a bit too small to see when she was younger. The vets not sure whether the antibiotics will work or not

We've just moved to Cheltenham. Does anyone know of a good tortoise vet in this sort of area? Thanks again for all your helpful messages!!
GemmaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #25
Jan W
Sub Adult

Thank you so much for updating us. I am always wondering how everyone gets on.

Although I do not know a reptile vet I do know Cheltenham as I lived there many years ago. A wonderful and vibrant town. So hope you will be very happy there.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:28 PM   #26
CherryBrandy
Adult

Im sorry to hear this. coincidentally I was reading about this or similar the other day and managed to find the article. I wonder if this is quite right about the development if the little thing was ok beforehand? anyway here is part of the article and its quite common.

.....furry build up of necrotic matter in the mouth. possible refusal to feed and eyes may be swollen.

Probable cause. Bacterial infection of the mouth usually implicating a gram negative organism.
Treatment - serious. Cleanse with povidone-iodine solution several times a day. Try and remove necrotic tissue. Antibiotics (topical) which are for gram negative organisms. ...conditions responds well...
Old 04-06-2016, 11:24 PM   #27
GemmaR
Egg

Cheltenham is lovely, we've just moved here after getting married.

Thank you CherryBrandy, do you have a link to the article? It sounds like it could be really helpful! She's my Mum's tortoise and it would be great if there was something more we could try.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #28
CherryBrandy
Adult

Sorry Gemma, it was course notes when I went on a herpetology course some years ago. I was reading up as my little sick note tortoise is seemingly ok, putting on weight but his eyes swelled up again. Then I use the hayfever drops, Opticom, with an active ingredient in which reduces swelling and they go down, so thinking its pollen.

Can you check inside his mouth ? I find sometimes a little syringe and some sterile saline will rinse anything stuck through. If you can get rid of the infection then theres a chance it wont reoccur. I think Gordon posted about iodine drops available from chemist.
Or try the Opticom, over counter maybe for the eyes. A good vet would certainly help. CB
Old 07-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #29
GemmaR
Egg

Thank you, that's really helpful, I'll let her know.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #30
CherryBrandy
Adult

Please do keep in touch Gemma won't you. We all learn so much on here. CB x

Tags
eye, hatchlings, hibernation, spur