Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 11-07-2015, 07:35 PM   #1
Daryn
Hatchling

Default New secure tortoise den

Ive had this idea in my head for a long time for a secure tortoise den/house that will be water proof, can be used for hibernation and rodent proof to protect our tortes.

If I dont get to make it this year I will defo get to make one next year, it will be made out of fibreglass, have mesh inbetween the cavity layers which will be filled with insulation.

I used to work with fibreglass for about 10 years, we used to make large dog kennels for the army/ police made out of fibreglass, its totally waterproof, it might sound over the top but its something Ive wanted to make for a while now for tortes.

Ive read about keepers having problems with rats getting in and attacking their tortes, so this is something I'm really keen on trying out soon as possible. It will be ideal for hibernating in a shed garage etc for those not wanting to hibernate in a fridge, with the addition of a small tube heater and thermostat set at 5c inside it would work out well.

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 08:24 AM   #2
Stellanne
Hatchling

Hi Daryn, Tort lodge was designed with a a double layer which is insulated, though I had it made of wood. Like you have said, the sole purpose was so my torts could dig down and hibernate safely without the use of a fridge or box. It is very successful if the pre and post hibernation is managed properly and a lovely way to hibernate and I think a lot less stressful for keepers and torts. I should think that if everything is properly secure rats would not be a problem.
Underground is lined with breeze blocks, 2inches thick insulation blocks and pond liner...... It would take a super rat to get through that!!! X x x. Hugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 08:48 AM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

bear in mind that the the tort needs to be able to dig down at least 18inches as it would in the wild and I assume its so it can get below any frost level to where the soil is a constant temp. We tried a natural hibernation in the greenhouse one year but the gh still got hot if the sun came out and the torts kept waking up then getting caught out when it got cold so we went back to our old way of boxing in the cold shed.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 11:14 AM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

Sounds good plan - silly inconsequential question I know - can you paint fibreglass with normal paint? or any paint?
Old 13-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #5
Daryn
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
Sounds good plan - silly inconsequential question I know - can you paint fibreglass with normal paint? or any paint?
The colour can be changed, car spray paint is good or by sanding it and painting it with flow coat which is whats used for the outer colour in the first place but basically when you make them its best to pick the colour first then its done and wont need doing again.

Old 13-07-2015, 12:23 PM   #6
Daryn
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellanne View Post
Hi Daryn, Tort lodge was designed with a a double layer which is insulated, though I had it made of wood. Like you have said, the sole purpose was so my torts could dig down and hibernate safely without the use of a fridge or box. It is very successful if the pre and post hibernation is managed properly and a lovely way to hibernate and I think a lot less stressful for keepers and torts. I should think that if everything is properly secure rats would not be a problem.
Underground is lined with breeze blocks, 2inches thick insulation blocks and pond liner...... It would take a super rat to get through that!!! X x x. Hugs x x x
My own hibernate in their outside den which is inside the coldframe. The way I do it is watch the long range weather forcast, keep them going until I know the weather is going to be under 10c for a good few months then get them down. I set the tube heater inside for 5c incase we get a really icey snap, its worked brilliantly for the last 3 years and give me piece of mind.

My own den is like yours, double insulated, the bottom of my coldframe is layered with bricks, even the coldframe is double skinned with decking boards and has a tarpaulin round the inside wall to keep wind out.

The things we do for our babies eh

Old 16-07-2015, 08:04 PM   #7
Emmajemmalina
Egg

Sounds great! Lucky tortoises!��
Emmajemmalina is offline   Reply With Quote