Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 26-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
Daryn
Hatchling

Default For newbie torte keepers / Rain + tortoise's

Just want to point out to newbie torte keepers not to worry about rain, our tortes seem to know what they need best. My tortes live in a large dry coldframe with access to a garden, they know where its warm and dry and how to get back to it at any time, they always seem to go back to it at the end of the day.

Yesterday when I got back from the vets it was raining pretty hard here. after bathing Terri I went to place her back in the coldframe for a warm up and wanting to check on my other torte Toby. I found him outside enjoying the rain, he was just sat there head and arms stretched out enjoying a natural shower.

Yes our tortes need warmth but I would never worry about them being outside in the rain, its a natural part of their life style in the wild and they seem to love it. Infact Ive seen Terri stomping around in the garden as if nothing was happening.

Let them enjoy it once in a while just make sure they get a warm and dry time under a basking lamp, in hot coldframe or dry them with a towel before they sleep through the night.

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #2
Suze65
Adult

I agree, it rains in the wild, in spring. But I would be carefull of cold rain, eg sometimes in March down here in the south, we get some warm days, warm enough to be out for an hour or two, specially with cold frames, but if it rains in March or April here, it's not like rain in March or April in the Med, it's not as warm, so I would be careful of leaving them out in rain at that time of year. But this time of year is fine, and as you say, they seem to enjoy it, and they will go where they are most comfortable.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012

Last edited by Suze65; 26-06-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
Daryn
Hatchling

Yeah I agree their and thanks for pointing that out as I should have mentioned the time of year. Obviously cold rain early in the year and late in the year should be avoided.

Old 26-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

oooh and hailstones.... why do some like it ! they join me under pergola sometimes or sit right in it, bouncing off shells !
Old 03-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #5
Daryn
Hatchling

Yesterday we had a heavy rain storm and one of my tortes just sat out in it, she was loving it. This is my torte that has been having difficulty passing feces since her op but yesterday sitting outside in that storm seemed to help and it looks like she is back to normal now

Old 06-07-2015, 07:47 AM   #6
Pussygalore
Adult

They're not stupid and if they have a dry house or bush to use they will if they don't want to get wet.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote