Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 16-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #21
Louni
Egg

Well I must admit, I thought I knew a reasonable amount before getting them and now I realise how little I knew. The support on here is great and I am sure it will be invaluable.
Thanks to all!
Louni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #22
Frazer31383
Egg

Mine were the same when I put them out in the hot weather at end of June/beginning of July. They just buried themselves and stayed buried until one night I started to worry and was out there at 10.30 digging around trying to find them. I bought them indoors after installing new separate heating and lighting (the Exo Terra Solar Glo combined MVB blew for the 3rd time in 5 months) and they are like totally different torts; they are active, stay out for almost the full 12 hours that the light and heat are on, and have even started humping each other lately!

I had always planned to put a shed next to their outdoor pen so that they can come and go as they please, and this was delivered this Wednesday, so am now in the process of treating it before putting it up and then insulating it ready for next spring. My plan will be for them to be out there from Spring to Autumn (depending on weather) and I bought one of the small Stella Beer fridges at Easter to hibernate them in (storing fridge inside the house) over winter.

2.2.0 - Testudo Hermanni - Shelby, Liz, Honey & Daisy
0.1.0 - ShihTzu - Pip
0.1.0 - Cat - Tabby
1.1.0 - Rabbits - Smudge & Squiggle
Frazer31383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #23
Catwoman63
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
I think many new owners think of the old garden torts that did live out all year round and were left to their own devices, however although there are still old garden torts many simply never lived very long. You also have to remember that they were mostly bought in shops as wild caught adults, these would have already learnt to survive even if it was in more suitable enviroment, you also have to bear in mind that those that did survive are mostly to be found in south facing gardens with good drainage. Our present captive bred torts just don't have the survival experience and would probably die if just put out in the garden, we also know much more about keeping them and they should live a lot longer than they used to. They do need help though as they aren't native to this country or climate and hibernation is a lot safer now providing we follow the good guide lines which have been learnt over the years.
I agree with all of this this, they arnt native to this country and indeed do need a little help, we can ensure their conditions are as good as possible, some guy in work I was talking to the other day thought tortoises only lived for 5 years, he was totally shocked when I told him how long they can actually live, he said he knew owners whose tortoises on lived for 5 years, so they were just plonked in the garden and left to their own defences x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #24
sandy
Adult

Quote:
I think many new owners think of the old garden torts that did live out all year round and were left to their own devices, however although there are still old garden torts many simply never lived very long. You also have to remember that they were mostly bought in shops as wild caught adults, these would have already learnt to survive even if it was in more suitable enviroment, you also have to bear in mind that those that did survive are mostly to be found in south facing gardens with good drainage. Our present captive bred torts just don't have the survival experience and would probably die if just put out in the garden, we also know much more about keeping them and they should live a lot longer than they used to. They do need help though as they aren't native to this country or climate and hibernation is a lot safer now providing we follow the good guide lines which have been learnt over the years.

I think there are more tortoises still around that have survived here, than a lot of people think. I know lots died, and I wouldn't recommend that these days they are left to their own devices. A lot of these tortoises that have survived and still healthy, had a good choice of plants and foods, as most had good gardens without a lot of chemicals. These days people only want show gardens (excluding tort keepers:0) ) so gardens are not suited for tortoises to be left to do their own thing.
I have adapted my garden so they can still live a reasonably normal life, doing their thing. I have heated greenhouses, unheated coldframes, and suitable hibernating places.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #25
Horace2
Hatched

Quote:
I know a guy who keeps his torts outside 24/7 They have a hide to go into. I was talking to this guy about his torts. He does everything "Wrong" they are aged 78 and 81. His Dad had them when he was a young guy. There shells are LOVELY.
I can't say anything, my Horace is only 6 will not eat but makes love to his food these last few days. Horace is Well but is just so full of life, I can't do anything with him. I did put him out but its throwing it down here and brought him in
You are right, if I kept Horace outside 24/7 no heat, he would die. I had a Tort in the middle 60's My Dad bought me Horace the first. He only lasted one year

Last edited by Horace2; 17-08-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Horace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #26
yuna1971
Adult

Nice to see you back again Chris!
How is "the little sod" doing? xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #27
Horace2
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
Nice to see you back again Chris!
How is "the little sod" doing? xx
Really Nice to say HI to You. The little "Sod" is outside now running around.
You be Well And Safe,
Chris
Horace2 is offline   Reply With Quote