Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 19-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #11
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

Hi, if you have need there is a dedicated multi position stand for this product code AO15

The UVFlood, will provide an index of around 6-7 at 12" off the back of the shell, so raise it to suit the index that you require for your species.

We have ours 14" off the back of Darwin, our spur thigh.

This then generates the same index as a M.V but over about 40-50cm square. A huge area to self regulate in.

Let me know if you get stuck.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazer31383 View Post
Hi John

Finally purchased the D3+ UV Flood this week after the Exo Terra Solar Glo blew yet agan (and the lovely people at zooplus refused to replace or refund due to being outside the 6 month warranty of the original bulb!).

After receiving on Wednesday I then decided I would re-jig my whole set up so ordered a 50W Halogen basking lamp, ceramic lamp holder and bracket and also a Habistat dimming thermostat. They should all be arriving tomorrow (Friday) but the one question I have is, how high should I mount the D3+ UV Flood over the tortoise table? I already have a lamp arm which I am modifying to hold the UV flood but am not sure at what height to suspend?

I have 2 Hermanns in a 4ft x 2ft table, of which approximately 2ft 8" x 2ft is open table, the remainder is an enclosed hide.

I am proposing to mount the ceramic lamp holder and bracket on the same arm as the UV flood but at the correct height to give a basking temp of 30-32C.

Any advice John (or anyone) could give would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Frazer
www.arcadia-reptile.com/reptile-care-books

Please join us on Facebook, Arcadia reptile
www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #12
Frazer31383
Egg

Thank you very much John!

Do you have any idea roughly what UV level would be required for a Hermanns? I had a hunt around online last night but could not find a clear answer.

Also, do you work on commission? If you do then you should inform your bosses that your recommendations and advice have generated almost £70 of sales this week from me

Will be installing all the new equipment later hopefully although there is no rush as they are both outside at the moment (as they have been since Saturday).

Thanks again

Frazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadiajohn View Post
Hi, if you have need there is a dedicated multi position stand for this product code AO15

The UVFlood, will provide an index of around 6-7 at 12" off the back of the shell, so raise it to suit the index that you require for your species.

We have ours 14" off the back of Darwin, our spur thigh.

This then generates the same index as a M.V but over about 40-50cm square. A huge area to self regulate in.

Let me know if you get stuck.

John
Frazer31383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

Ha, thanks.. No I don't work on any thing like that at all and I can't sell product direct. The only people that benefit are the keepers and the reptile shops. I give advice because I'm a reptile keeper that wants to make a difference to the largely archaic advice that is given. I just happen to be responsible for a brand as well.

No problem, fit the lamp at 15" off the back of the shell. Bareing in mind that this is the light and shade method in action the tort will self regulate it's own exposure as required.

John

Quote:
Thank you very much John!

Do you have any idea roughly what UV level would be required for a Hermanns? I had a hunt around online last night but could not find a clear answer.

Also, do you work on commission? If you do then you should inform your bosses that your recommendations and advice have generated almost £70 of sales this week from me

Will be installing all the new equipment later hopefully although there is no rush as they are both outside at the moment (as they have been since Saturday).

Thanks again

Frazer

www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Old 23-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
Frazer31383
Egg

Default New Arcadia lighting set up

Now have all the new lighting set up on the tortoise table; D3+ UV flood, ceramic holder and 50W Halogen basking lamp (just waiting for a replacement halogen spotlight from Swell Reptiles due to 1st one 'popping' - hence the spotlight) and a thermostat set at 30C.

Need to get the boys in from outside now and see what they think of it all!

Last edited by Frazer31383; 23-07-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 23-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

Very nice! You did that very well

John

Quote:
Now have all the new lighting set up on the tortoise table; D3+ UV flood, ceramic holder and 50W Halogen basking lamp (just waiting for a replacement halogen spotlight from Swell Reptiles due to 1st one 'popping' - hence the spotlight) and a thermostat set at 30C.

www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Old 23-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #16
Frazer31383
Egg

Thanks John, and thanks for all your help and info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadiajohn View Post
Very nice! You did that very well

John
Old 10-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #17
stan794
Egg

Sorry for maybe a dumb question, when setting up a stat (ive never used one) with your halogen basking, do you place the sensor directly underneath it.
stan794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #18
houseofcutler
Hatched

Hi Stan,

You set the temperature on the thermostat to what you want the maximum to be where the sensor is. In my set up yes, I have the sensor directly under the heat source as this is the hottest point. I suppose you could have the sensor to the side and you could set the max temperature lower on the thermostat but this will be more difficult for you to judge.

One thing to be careful of is the sensor getting buried either in the substrate or sat on by your tortoise. This will prevent it taking an accurate reading and could result in hotter temperatures than expected.

One way around this is to wedge the sensor between some objects to keep it pointing up. I have also previously taped the sensor cable to the base of the table, with the sensor in the position I want, and then put a couple of rocks around it before putting the substrate on. This has helped prevent the torts form sitting on it.

This is basically going to be a trial and error process to see what works in your table.

Another point I should mention is that the number on the thermostat is not always exactly the same as the temperature that it will regulate. I would suggest you use a thermometer initially to keep an eye on the temps your getting so you can work this out. I think mine usually give a temperature a couple of degrees hotter than it says on the thermostat.

I hope this information is useful to you - good luck

0.0.2 THB Slow Vincent Gonzales & Rita Queen of Speed
See my tortoises
Live Feed

Testudo Weight Recorder with Jackson calculation and graphs

houseofcutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #19
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

Quote:

Looking good have had my D3 floods for a few months now - love seeing how the guys move around in their pens - in to and out of the light spectrum.

TG Terresteris 1:3:1 Apollo & Layla, Santa, Helpa & Unig
TG Iberia 2:3:0 Tonka, LJ, Persephone, Cleo & Clyde
Saffron TGG RIP Jaunary 2019
Jasper, Harry & Ruby pussy cats
4 ex bat hens.
lonelylayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #20
stan794
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcutler View Post
Hi Stan,

You set the temperature on the thermostat to what you want the maximum to be where the sensor is. In my set up yes, I have the sensor directly under the heat source as this is the hottest point. I suppose you could have the sensor to the side and you could set the max temperature lower on the thermostat but this will be more difficult for you to judge.

One thing to be careful of is the sensor getting buried either in the substrate or sat on by your tortoise. This will prevent it taking an accurate reading and could result in hotter temperatures than expected.

One way around this is to wedge the sensor between some objects to keep it pointing up. I have also previously taped the sensor cable to the base of the table, with the sensor in the position I want, and then put a couple of rocks around it before putting the substrate on. This has helped prevent the torts form sitting on it.

This is basically going to be a trial and error process to see what works in your table.

Another point I should mention is that the number on the thermostat is not always exactly the same as the temperature that it will regulate. I would suggest you use a thermometer initially to keep an eye on the temps your getting so you can work this out. I think mine usually give a temperature a couple of degrees hotter than it says on the thermostat.

I hope this information is useful to you - good luck
Hi Ben

Thanks very much for that very helpful. Since moving to my new lighting set up I've noticed Bill ( he's a Hermann by the way) seems really lively compared to how he was under the mega ray. Like arcadiajohn says we should move with technology to ensure our torts are happy. I have found the Che makes a difference too, this is something I never used thinking that in a house he was fine but sometimes temp at night can be 15 degrees so have it set at 18 and he is quick to get up and about when the lights go on..
I'm planning an outdoor set up in my garage this summer as I want to get a couple more and the misses is having none of it with more indoor tables lol so I'm planning to use the same light set up you recommend I'll post some pics when done.
stan794 is offline   Reply With Quote