Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 23-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
chrissyb
Egg

Default Heat Mats!?

I have a heat mat and i was wondering if there okl to use with torts?? i would put hardboard over the top taped at all sides so could not directly touch the mat??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phARQroJjEs
^ Bob Marley, No woman no cry cover
chrissyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
swad1000
Adult

Depends on who's opinion you get. I've never personally found the need to use one. But I would consider using one for sick tortoise to help keep temps up at night.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
purplelynn
Sub Adult

I spoke to Mark Rowlands at Trinity vet when my tort was under the weather - he said that if tort was sick to bury one deep below the substrate and itwould help to keep temps up at night but only a small one so tort could move away from it if needs be.
purplelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #4
chrissyb
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplelynn View Post
I spoke to Mark Rowlands at Trinity vet when my tort was under the weather - he said that if tort was sick to bury one deep below the substrate and itwould help to keep temps up at night but only a small one so tort could move away from it if needs be.
mines really small, and it's just to heat a compartment i made for him at one side (which is bigger than the mat) for night time. he already has his basking spot

Old 24-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

If the room temperature doesn't get below 15-16c regularly or down to 12-13c occasionally then you shouldn't need one really (unless as swad and lynn says, illness). I don't know for sure by my thoughts are that being too warm at night may increase dehydration. it gets quite cool at night in the wild for a Hermanns
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

would consider putting one in a hide, fixed to the side or something so the tort doesn't actually touch it...that seems to be the main concern with them, that the tort could burn itself if it came into contact with it. They have their uses.
Old 24-01-2010, 11:45 PM   #7
clairestortoise
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to clairestortoise

I personally dont think Heat mats are a must! From what ive read on them, only the shop that sells them benefit! From what others here have said yeah if little one is poorly or if you have a really cold room. but thats my opinion , I guess we all have our own thoughts.

9 Cats, Wallace 15, Blackie 10, Scooby&Phoebe(Bro&Sis) 9, Gucci 6, Snuggles 5 and Oliver 3 and Blossom and Billy 10 months old

Tye 9 Yr old Yorkie

2 children

1 Husband

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...e&id=523711412

clairestortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 11:57 PM   #8
Kirkie
Adult

The thing I've found with heat mats is that they don't radiate heat. If you place your hand on a heat mat you will feel the heat, if you raise your hand above a heat mat you feel no heat. So the only benefit would come if the tortoise was in pretty much direct contact with the mat. I think there are better ways to keep a tortoise warm overnight such as ceramic or tubular heaters which do radiate heat either in a spot or throughout.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 12:14 AM   #9
chrissyb
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
The thing I've found with heat mats is that they don't radiate heat. If you place your hand on a heat mat you will feel the heat, if you raise your hand above a heat mat you feel no heat. So the only benefit would come if the tortoise was in pretty much direct contact with the mat. I think there are better ways to keep a tortoise warm overnight such as ceramic or tubular heaters which do radiate heat either in a spot or throughout.
they heat substrate, i keep corns and they all use heat matt, just takes a few hours for the substrate to reach desired temp, direct contact is a NO NO as they can reach over 100

Old 25-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
littletort
Incubating

i use one for my leopard as she likes to be warmer than my spur thighed. It helps as my house gets really cold overnight, i have it on the wall of her sleeping area and she spends lots oftime in there as its cosey Im hoping as the weather warms up i wontneed it though.
littletort is offline   Reply With Quote