Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 24-07-2011, 01:29 AM   #1
Lolly8
Adult

Default Funny behaviour.

Hi,everyone.My tort has wooden Tortoise Toy Ball.I bought it about 2 years ago.He's been playing "boy games" with this ball every now and then.Few months ago I found this ball in his sleeping log,took it out and put outside the log.As soon tortoise saw ball there,he pushed it back into the log.Since then he keeps pushing ball back into the log as soon I've taken it out.It's kind a funny to watch how quickly he wants it back in but I'm thinking that there should be some reason why he wants it in the log so badly and not leave it out? If someone has some explanation for his behaviour,why this ball is SO important to him that he must keep it in the log only?Thank you.
Old 24-07-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

is the log open at both ends lolly? perhaps it's just that he wants one end blocked off to feel more secure. One of mine produces this behaviour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAfMjJ_F-NU and it's not a one-off, it's on a regular basis. It moves the pot up to the end where the lamp is. It doesn't do it every day but when it does start doing it, I can put the pot back again and it will immediately move it again and again. I've no idea why
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
Watermelon
Adult

thats pretty funny, interesting and cute....
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Eremiel
Hatched

Its a bit odd really... i dont have any ideas but i have never thought of giving my Tortys a toy so i think i will try the ball.x

1:1:0 Testudo Agrionemys horsfieldii.
0:1:0 Pain in the bum Cat.
Eremiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
yuna1971
Adult

I would just let him do what he wants Lolly. As long as there's no hazard or risk with it being where he likes it. He's obviously happier with it in the log. Bless him...xx
He must see it as a 'love' interest ... So probably that's reflected in his behaviour towards it. Silly as I sound...xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
TortBabe
Adult

Aww sounds like he just wants to keep it in his bed
Old 24-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
emma_mcraf
Adult

I didn't know there were 'toys' available for torts. I watch mine moving their table furniture around all the time. They have very definite ideas of where they want their plants, rocks and pots placed and if I dare to move them, they're straight there pushing them back.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
Lolly8
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
is the log open at both ends lolly? perhaps it's just that he wants one end blocked off to feel more secure. One of mine produces this behaviour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAfMjJ_F-NU and it's not a one-off, it's on a regular basis. It moves the pot up to the end where the lamp is. It doesn't do it every day but when it does start doing it, I can put the pot back again and it will immediately move it again and again. I've no idea why
Yes,Alan,the log is open at both sides.
When I got the tortoise (2008) I put the log against the enclosure wall so only one side was open.He didn't like it.He pushed the log away so both sides were open.I put it back against the wall,he pushed it back where he wanted it to be.So I decided to not move his "furniture" around anymore and let him to do it..And now he's doing the same thing with his ball.Every time when ball is out of his log,he pushes quickly back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
I would just let him do what he wants Lolly. As long as there's no hazard or risk with it being where he likes it. He's obviously happier with it in the log. Bless him...xx
He must see it as a 'love' interest ... So probably that's reflected in his behaviour towards it. Silly as I sound...xx
I've been thinking about that it could be something to do with " torty love". because this ball has been his "best mate" (torty boys best friend when he doesn't have a girlfriend,you know what I mean.And it works for him.) for 2 years.Every living creature has feelings so not so silly at all.Although it's only a wooden ball...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortBabe View Post
Aww sounds like he just wants to keep it in his bed
Yeah,looks like.I've found this funny and cute that he likes his ball so much.(Maybe too much.haha.)
Old 24-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
yuna1971
Adult

Lily butts anything Lolly.
There's a brown nob on his wooden hide lid. If that lid is laid on the floor, he will butt the nob. Go figure. Size, shape... I think they just start doing the sexual stuff. Or trying to show whose boss...perhaps?
Lol.... Move this in the Over 18's now, Lolly...
Heh heh...xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
Lolly8
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
Lily butts anything Lolly.
There's a brown nob on his wooden hide lid. If that lid is laid on the floor, he will butt the nob. Go figure. Size, shape... I think they just start doing the sexual stuff. Or trying to show whose boss...perhaps?
Lol.... Move this in the Over 18's now, Lolly...
Heh heh...xx
Boys...