Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 06-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #31
Nellie and Morla
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess222 View Post
Right, i know a lot of people dont like torts being kept in vivs but if me and mum get one its prob gonna have to be a viv. Can horsfields successfully be kept in a viv?

Thanks x
We have 2 that are very happy in their vivs. They are 6ft long, 3ft wide, 18 inches high. They have cushion flooring down with kitchen roll in their favourite toilet spots. It isn't safe to keep soil in a viv for these as it would need to be just damp enough to avoid dust and then you have a humidity problem for Horsfield's. Ours have never shown much interest in digging anyway, they prefer to climb for some reason. Guess ours are weird. Anyway they have rocks and logs and plastic plants. Plus a tortoise bath at the cool end. This size is adequate since they get out twice each day to roam around our tortoise pen in the living room. This is where we provide a digging option but as I say these two rarely bother.

What I gather is regarding vivs, Herman's need similar but you can use soil as they aren't so likely to dig so less issues with dust.
1 male Noseby panther chameleon
2 White's tree frogs, Lilly (female) and Rollie (male)
1 hypotranslucent smoothie chilli red female bearded dragon, Blaze
Nellie and Morla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #32
cherylahutch
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie and Morla View Post
We have 2 that are very happy in their vivs. They are 6ft long, 3ft wide, 18 inches high. They have cushion flooring down with kitchen roll in their favourite toilet spots. It isn't safe to keep soil in a viv for these as it would need to be just damp enough to avoid dust and then you have a humidity problem for Horsfield's. Ours have never shown much interest in digging anyway, they prefer to climb for some reason. Guess ours are weird. Anyway they have rocks and logs and plastic plants. Plus a tortoise bath at the cool end. This size is adequate since they get out twice each day to roam around our tortoise pen in the living room. This is where we provide a digging option but as I say these two rarely bother.

What I gather is regarding vivs, Herman's need similar but you can use soil as they aren't so likely to dig so less issues with dust.

Mine are in a viv with topsoil and I don't have any problems with dust or humidity. As long as they are well ventilated they won't be too humid. I don't spray there topsoil and they love to dig in it. And climb as well they love there ramp. I think if you put some soil in there yours might just prove you wrong on the digging thing lol.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #33
EJ
Adult

Sorry... A vivarium is exactly a fish tank use for terrestrial animals. These are ideal for keeping any reptile or amphibian that requires moisture... which all do.

The cabinet type enclosures with the slidding glass doors or doors on the front have only relatively recently been called Vivariums.

Fully enclosed glass enclosures have been called vivariums for over 100 years... since the Victorian era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylahutch View Post
Fish tanks are not what I would describe as a viv. I'm not so sure I would be happy with mine in a fishtank how does it work for ventilation? Do you have the top open? Not a criticism just interested how it works.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #34
cherylahutch
Adult

Indeed Ed you are right. I think what I meant was a fish tank as in to keep fish in not a really big glass tank if you see what I mean. I am not overly sure why the wooden cabinets most of us describe as vivariums are lumped into the same category as glass vivariums. Personally I think however tortoises are kept as long as they are well looked after by the owner it does not make much difference. But am sure a lot of people will disagree lol. I suppose it's more a space thing in a fish tank but I would not use one for the simple reason I would not like all that glass with kids and a dog asking for bother really, bad enough with toughened glass doors sometimes.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #35
EJ
Adult

vi·var·i·um (v-vâr-m)
n. pl. vi·var·i·ums or vi·var·i·a (--) A place, especially an indoor enclosure, for keeping and raising living animals and plants under natural conditions for observation or research.

It's just that before herps became mainstream they were mostly kept in fishtank vivariums because that was the easiest way to provide a true semi natural habitat.

The London zoo kept their juvenile Egyptian tortoises in a 200 gal aquarium... and they grew fantasticly. It was, of course, set up as a terrestrial habitat.

Quote:
Indeed Ed you are right. I think what I meant was a fish tank as in to keep fish in not a really big glass tank if you see what I mean. I am not overly sure why the wooden cabinets most of us describe as vivariums are lumped into the same category as glass vivariums. Personally I think however tortoises are kept as long as they are well looked after by the owner it does not make much difference. But am sure a lot of people will disagree lol. I suppose it's more a space thing in a fish tank but I would not use one for the simple reason I would not like all that glass with kids and a dog asking for bother really, bad enough with toughened glass doors sometimes.
and
Old 07-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #36
Merlin M
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
The London zoo kept their juvenile Egyptian tortoises in a 200 gal aquarium... and they grew fantasticly. It was, of course, set up as a terrestrial habitat.
What you mean it wasn't full of water??

(sorry I just couldn't resist!)
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #37
EJ
Adult

ter·res·tri·al (t-rstr-l)
adj. 1. Of or relating to the earth or its inhabitants.
2. Having a worldly, mundane character or quality.
3. Of, relating to, or composed of land.
4. Biology Living or growing on land; not aquatic: a terrestrial plant or animal.

(sorry... I just couldn't resist as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin M View Post
What you mean it wasn't full of water??

(sorry I just couldn't resist!)
and
Old 08-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #38
Catwoman63
Adult

love it!!!!!

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #39
Nellie and Morla
Incubating

Quote:
Mine are in a viv with topsoil and I don't have any problems with dust or humidity. As long as they are well ventilated they won't be too humid. I don't spray there topsoil and they love to dig in it. And climb as well they love there ramp. I think if you put some soil in there yours might just prove you wrong on the digging thing lol.
Maybe it was the specific kind we got. And they were on soil for a while. They never dug. We got advised by the vet to remove it from their vivs anyway because they're an absolute pair of plonkers and did nothing but try and eat the stuff. He warned us that if they're going that crazy trying to eat it there was still an impaction risk. So we supervise them with soil. Our 2 seem to prefer digging in newspaper tbh.
1 male Noseby panther chameleon
2 White's tree frogs, Lilly (female) and Rollie (male)
1 hypotranslucent smoothie chilli red female bearded dragon, Blaze
Nellie and Morla is offline   Reply With Quote