Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 12-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
MeImNot
Incubating

Default Slowed down after going 24/7 outside

Hi Guys,

this is the first proper summer that I have my tortoise so I have no experience. I keep her in a table with the usual 35C basking going down to 21-23C, now weather is very sunny here and I decided to take her outside but instead of speeding up she slowed down There is shade but the temp still avarages 28C -30C and at night its around 24C...can this be aestivation??

Up to last week I was keeping her in her table till around 1pm, then out in the yard where she sped around the yard till around 4:30pm and at 5pm I took her in again for her beauty sleep...any ideas guys? doing something for the best and having these results is upsetting me
MeImNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
lynnedit
Hatched

Do you have her in an outside enclosure? Do you have any pics? Is she in the same area now that she was last week? There is some sun in her enclosure for basking?
They only seem to aestivate when the weather is extremely hot, to keep from overheating.
So when you say 'slowed down', what is she doing?
Their activity level can vary widely even in the same conditions, so she may be perfectly normal, but more information might help.
Pacific NW, US
lynnedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
Levi
Hatched

If we had temperatures like that my ibera would be active and eating early in the morning and then spend the rest of the day hiding away under a bush. In the evening when it had cooled down a bit she would come out and demand food from me.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
MeImNot
Incubating

Oops...I forgot that I posted in here about this. The temps are high but its was def not aestivation, it was the stress of changing her place :/

It took her 3 days to eat properly and start wandering out of her hide, she's now awake by 7:30am and starts trotting around at about 9am till around 4:30pm. I also installed a lamp outide because she used to go under her basking lamp when she was inside, this seems to have helped her get accustomed to her 'new' environment.
MeImNot is offline   Reply With Quote