Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 26-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
Jemma1
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Jemma1
Default Combi UV/ Heat bulbs

Looking into lighting options for 4 enclosures. It appears it is going to be rather expensive!

If i were to go for combined UV/ Heat bulbs, which one will i need?

Also, people who use them already- do they blow easily? The normal 60watt bulbs i use at the moment are always blowing, and i dont want this to happen if we spend money on an expensive one!

Alternatively we will need seperate UV and heat lamps, but i think this may be even more expensive to do.

If you have read my other thread on '3 tier tort tables', that is what we are going to do. We are going to build a 4 level bunk style thing, like Eds

Thanks!
Old 26-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
Kirkie
Adult

Hi Jemma,

Thats the big question at the moment! I'd still recommend the Megarays, I've read a post from Darren @ Kimbos on another forum that the new 100w MVB bulbs have passd testing and will be back in production in 8 weeks. So if you can hold on, they might be a good bet.

I've just got hold of the T rex active UV 100w and its seems good in regard to UV output and tested well with the UV guide.

I havent seen Ed's tied table design but I suppose you'd need to allow room between the tables to give sufficient room for the lamp and all its fittings plus minimum lamp distance from the basking spot so it could get quite high with 4 tiers. Also heat rises, is there a chance of the heat off of a bulb inadvertantly overheating the floor above?

If you choose to use UV flourescent tubes, Exo Terra do a dual starter unit which can be used for 2 tubes, it costs about half as much again as a normal starter but you'd only need 2 for four tubes. I use them and they're good.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Jemma1
Sub Adult

Thanks Dave, thats a real help. Now i know the watts i'm looking for etc. will have a look into the T rex ones.

This is Eds enclosures, and we are using his plans and building one the same.

Old 26-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
Kirkie
Adult

Ooh very nice, little tortoise dormitories. Now Ed will see this and probably shout at me but if you keep the same scale and have 100w MVB's in the position those lights are in you'll get basking spots roughly equivilent to the temperature of the surface of the sun.
Old 26-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
Jemma1
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
Ooh very nice, little tortoise dormitories. Now Ed will see this and probably shout at me but if you keep the same scale and have 100w MVB's in the position those lights are in you'll get basking spots roughly equivilent to the temperature of the surface of the sun.
ahh :s how do we get around this?? use a 60w bulb??
Old 26-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

kirkie do you know why they are bringing back the 100w? I thought the whole problem with the 100w was that they were only 100w in the first place
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
money could be raised to cover costs by sectioning off an area for use as a tanning parlour
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
Kirkie
Adult

Jemma,

You could make it a little taller and have more space between each "floor". With a 100w bulb you'd probably need 12-15 inches from the face of the bulb and the basking spot, then add on the depth of the light fittings, probably 20-22" in total between levels.

The only 60w bulb I can think of is the Megray Halide, this is probably too powerful for the space,they don't throw out a lot of heat, you might still need a seperate basking bulb and 4 would set you back err...a lot.

Alan,

Darren's explanation for the 100/120 situation is the last one on this thread http://www.tortoise-protection-group...0.asp?tID=6467
Old 26-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
brodi
Egg

I thought the 160w megarays where the best bulb to go for, or is the 100w
brodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #10
Jemma1
Sub Adult

i'm confused?? how did Ed do this then?