Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 18-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
Abram
Egg

Default Redfoot Questions

Hi all,

We are thinking about getting a redfoot here or maybe two, our experience so far is only with Leopards so we're trying to learn as much as possible about these lovely creatures.

Our setting consists from a 2ft by 4ft tortoise table, we have a 10% UV light (but we also have the 5% one), a hot spot that goes between 30-32 degrees C but that can be easily highered up since we have a 40W bulb, a 60W one and 100W one already bought, a hiding place, food and water tortoise bolls, a waterproof heating mat. In the cold spot which would be the hiding place we can get around 20-22 degrees. We've read that the temperature needs to be higher in the cold spot, how would we achieve that? Use the heat mat?

As far as we have read until now, a Redfoot need quite a humid enviroment (we do have termometres and also a hydrometer already in place in the table). We are not entirely sure on how to achieve the humidity. Does it need to be in a vivarium? Some suggest that. What is your advice over this matter?

What kind of bedding should we use?

Can we let it outside during the summer, provided it has a closed enclosure and a heated covered hiding place? Would the sun be too much for it?

Thanks in advance,

Michael
Abram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
linda
Adult

Default Re: Redfoot Questions

hi

your temps seem fine giving a good gradient you could move your hide a little closer to the warmer end to raise its temp a little
i personally wouldnt use a heat mat
if you need additional heat
you could buy a normal spot bulb and desk lamp
i achieve humidity by having play sand & soil mix covered with a good layer of repti bark or hardwood playbark
this gets sprayed with water as needed
i measure the humidity on the ground at substrate level with a high quality hygrometer
i have a greenhouse that is attatched to an outdoors run for the summer months
as yet i do not leave them out overnight unless it is extremly warm

here is darrens care advice
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/www..._Langford.html
linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
Toni115
Adult

I am pretty much with linda, use sand/soil mix with a layer of reptibark, sprayed 2 or 3 times a day. he does go out in the summer, but i also bring him in overnight
Old 18-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #4
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

I recently bought some Spagnum moss for my reds, and they love hiding and wandering round under it, I have it in the covered area where the humidity is slightly higher, I've found it keep the humidity levels more stable, and they seem to enjoy being at that end.