Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 21-06-2016, 04:43 PM   #1
Sugarplump
Egg

Default Outdoor Accommodation

Hi all,

After stalking this forum for quite a while I thought I better make my first post and check with you guys as to whether or not the outdoor area for my Marginated seems ok. Me and my little girl have had 'Tabby' for a few months now and she is around about 1, we have her in a tortoise table inside but have been working on the outdoor enclosure as the weather gets nicer, well i say nicer apart from it keeps chucking it down. The enclosure has no lid as yet so we only put her out when we are in the garden and bring her in when we come in but hoping to get a lid made soon so she can be out more.
Anyways sorry for the long post just wondered if it looked ok? (please be gentle, I'm a newbie) Its about 2.4mts by half a metre but we plan to make it bigger as 'she' grows.

Sugarplump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 05:45 PM   #2
Jan W
Sub Adult

Welcome to the forum.

When you first post it takes a day before it appears for the first few.

It sounds as though you have really thought everything through with the indoor and outdoor pens.

It is looking very attractive, but I will leave the comments to the experts.

My only thought is, does Tabby have access to water?
Old 22-06-2016, 06:10 PM   #3
Sugarplump
Egg

Thanks for the reply Jan.
This picture was taken before we put her in and I can't tell from the pic if this was before we added the water too. The round brown tub with stones in had water added before she went in, then the first thing she did was walk through the water and poop in it.
Sugarplump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
Suze65
Adult

It looks great Sharon, you can develope it as your tort grows. Tortoise gardening is such fun.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 08:49 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

looks fabulous and that colour would make a fantastic nail varnish colour. welcome to the forum. I thought your post was so nicely worded also. My only observation is the drainage underneath. Good drainage in a soil pen is essential. With that in mind there is nothing worse that a Tortoise sitting on damp anything..bain of most TK's. so perhaps a slate or flat dry surface for bathing, eating off. You should try and track the sun because you will then find where to place the slate or similar as Tortoises will usually sit in the optimum sunning position even angling themselves against the wall or like a sun dial. CB
Old 22-06-2016, 09:52 PM   #6
emma_mcraf
Adult

I remember reading that long and narrow is better than short and wide once (for enclosures obviously ), so for a juvenile I think the enclosure is fine and as the others say, you can adapt as Tabby grows.
You've added a warming area (or tort conservatory as I call mine), shelter in the pots, there'll be further shelter under the plant when it's well established too.
Have you got a slate for Tabby to eat off if the weather improves and she's lucky enough to have breakfast al fresco?
Also a good point regarding drainage from CB. Incidentally I have a nail polish in a similar purple and wear gold glitter over it sometimes and call them my 'Cadbury Nails'.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 08:06 PM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

Always good to know Emma ! Hope all ok with the weather also. a good tester for enclosures depending where you live !
Old 24-06-2016, 05:57 PM   #8
Stellanne
Hatchling

Nail varnish...... Yep I agree Emma....and if you get some goals in the dark top coat....well, just imagine...
However back to sugarplumps enclosure... It does look great and the fun part is the developing as ideas take place X X. Hugs X X
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 08:30 PM   #9
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellanne View Post
Nail varnish...... Yep I agree Emma....and if you get some goals in the dark top coat....well, just imagine...
However back to sugarplumps enclosure... It does look great and the fun part is the developing as ideas take place X X. Hugs X X
Eh - goals? Am I missing something?

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

my lot are soaked. Hope the purple enclosure held up ! Is the Tort in there yet?

May be its predictive text Emma...! translated I think it means wear a jacket in the rain when picking weeds....!