Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 03-04-2016, 05:09 PM   #1
seazer
Egg

Default what is going wrong with my tortoise!

Hi im Charles and this is my first post here after coming across this group.

i have two horsefields torts that i have had for three years now. i bought them at separate times. One is Terry one is Shelly.

at the end of last year i took them to London vet college for a check up to find out they are both boys. also i got told i was feeding them too much good food by the bet and they were growing quickly? so we have been changing their diet and giving them treats (fruit and bits)

we had them separated for a while due to them fighting however we bathed them together which was fine.

we have moved back home to save to buy our own place and today i converted my parents shed to hold the torts.

they have been in there for an hour and Terry was chasing Shelly attacking him. i really want to keep them together as they used to get on so well. will they get used to each other or will they fight to the death?

their new table is 600mm x 1825mm with a sand/soil bed.

thanks a lot

Charles
seazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:32 PM   #2
Jan W
Sub Adult

Charles
I am responding so that your question appears on todays posts, as when you are new it takes a day to get the first posts live.

It sounds as though you have two little fighters, but I cannot provide the best advice for you so will leave to others.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:04 PM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

welcome Charles, ive had Horsfields for over 25 years and if they start fighting they are likely to continue in my experience, especially the boys. they reach an age of maturity. If you don't want them to be anxious around each other or suffer some severe bites (they bite harder and nastier than other torts - sometimes right through the neck) then you will need to consider separating them I am afraid. Best for the tortoise. CB
Old 05-04-2016, 07:39 AM   #4
emma_mcraf
Adult

Firstly, welcome to the forum, Charles. I think CB is right and it's time to split them before one gets hurt, plus it must be pretty stressful for them. It's a shame but sometimes there's no other choice. All four of my males live separately.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:58 PM   #5
Finsky
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by seazer View Post
at the end of last year i took them to London vet college for a check up to find out they are both boys. also i got told i was feeding them too much good food by the bet and they were growing quickly? so we have been changing their diet and giving them treats (fruit and bits)
Charles
Just out of curiosity...when you said 'too much good food'..what was it that you were giving them or was it literally too much in quantity?
I have Horsefield 'lad'...or should I say 'thug' I think you might still have to tweak your tortoises diet. I might be wrong...but what I've read from many Horsefield information sources, they should be on 'weeds' only diet as too 'rich/sugary' food can cause tummy issues.
I hate to be bearer of bad news..but better be safe than sorry....
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:59 PM   #6
Suze65
Adult

I am also curious as to what you were told not to give them, and how much you were told to give them. If they are hungry, feed them. And I wouldn't give them any fruit, too sugary. Weeds and flowers, off the right sort, and you really can't over feed on weeds and flowers. Have a look on here http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/tortoise_home_1.asp for information about do's and don't's of feeding .

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012

Last edited by Suze65; 05-04-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

And Horsfields can fight over food like no other tortoise i've seen. literally take chunks out of each other for certain food so lots of variety weeds ideal
Old 08-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #8
Blueginger1984
Incubating

I was in the same situation as you. I thought I had 2 girls, turned out I had 2 boys. I ended up separating them as my shy boy was bullied, bitten, poor little guy couldn't even eat without being attacked, so he'd give up trying and I'd have to take the other male out so the little guy could eat in peace.

My boys are perfectly happy now they live alone.