Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 16-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #11
JawsMew
Egg

Thank you all so much. I think I will be on here an awful lot from now on!
JawsMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 10:07 PM   #12
JawsMew
Egg

http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/Ka...0f03d.jpg.html

Here is a photo
Old 16-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #13
becciwales
Adult

Lovely

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #14
Catwoman63
Adult

Very lovely old tortoise, I do love the older adults x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 11:17 PM   #15
tortoiseuk
Hatched

Hi Jaws, welcome to the forum. these old tortoises are priceless I have 1 old +75 THB and love him to bits.
Good on you to take care of it
Anything you need/doubt the people on this forum are excellent giving good valuable information and advice
I also would advise like other people did it before, if possible in setting a greenhouse/shed/dog kennel insulated/heated in the garden if possible
enjoy your tort

P.S - about the value of the tortoise, like others have said its priceless indeed for people who care, there is no price no one can put on my tortoises (and if no papers/certificates are there its illegal to sell or buy)
0.0.1 testudo kleinmanni
1.1.0 testudo hermanni boetgeri

Last edited by tortoiseuk; 16-04-2014 at 11:20 PM.
tortoiseuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 06:58 AM   #16
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Pretty low of people but sadly not surprising. A female of this species is pretty sought after so I would not give out any details of your location. We too were due to rehome a female (pretty sure she was an Algerian), together with a male. Built the separate tables and garden enclosures, went to collect them both only to be told she had gone elsewhere. At that time, we weren't aware of her value, but obviously someone was!

As for the breeding bit and paperwork. Tortoises of this age would not have paperwork but I understand that by contacting Defra with information/details etc it can be obtained and hatchlings legally sold but obviously this isn't what will be happening here.

I would say she is quite likely to be double the age quoted. All the best with her and hopefully she has a happy life with you. Lots of sunshine, a safe enclosure both indoors and outdoors, a weed diet and she should thrive. They can be vulnerable to "runny" noses requiring veterinary treatment so do keep a close eye out. As for preventing her wanting to hibernating come the end of the year you may very well struggle, but don't start thinking that far ahead quite yet.
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #17
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawsMew View Post
Thank you. I won't be parting with him / her. I gave my word that this would be his forever home. I just want to do everything right. I have limited space to work with indoors. I won't be naming names on who messaged me, thats not me - but because of this I am wondering if he is valuable? ? Thank you.
Well done for taking her on and being so committed, you hang on to her, she's lovely. And the elderly couple are entrusting their pet to you which must give them great comfort.

Sounds like she going to have a lovely garden all to herself , keep asking as many questions as you need to, we are here to help.

I think she is possibly a she, because of her size, but if you can post a picture of her tail and plastron , some one will be able to tell you .

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #18
mark r
Hatched

good luck with your new lodger.

lots of GENUINE people on this site who will be able to give oyu good info on the breed.
mark r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #19
JawsMew
Egg

He/she has arrived. We have a very good reptile vet local and I am going to get them to give him a check over. Unsure from looking at him if all is good so want to seek help with that. Love him already. His front claws seem long?? I am picking up a tortoise outdoor shelter this pm for the garden. Thank you for all the support and information. Very helpful.

Last edited by egyptiandan64; 17-04-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Old 17-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #20
burnt toast
Adult

Personally I wouldn't take it to a vet. Its too soon it will have been through enough stress already having not been used to travelling outside its owners garden...going to a new home, new people, now vets. I would let it settle in for a while first. Plus a good reptile vet will ask you questions about what you have observed & you haven't observed anything yet. That's only my opinion, see what others think.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote