Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 28-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
vikiilou89
Hatched

Default getting worried about george... :(

ok so for a few weeks i had been housesitting for some family whilst they were away, id visit george the usual amount, but he just seemed off i felt guilty maybe he knew i werent giving him as much attention... ive been back about a week or so now and hes still not himself, he just wants to stay in bed all day, hes not sleeping just sat there and hes cold so i know he hasnt been to bask. one day i had to get him up at midday i bathed him put him under his lamp whilst i prepared some food for him, come back...and hes in bed again...ive been putting it down to weather being pooh but just feel maybe somethings not right, for me to put food down and him to walk past it and go back to bed..thats not george... as ive had him a year now it would be about the same amount of time since he was wormed, is it a good idea to get him checked again i was going to wait a few more months but his behaviour is concerning me.
he managed to get outside this morning for an hour in hope it would perk him up, he even munched on some of his weeds growin in the enclosure. until it started raining again and weve had storms all day, so its been very warm.... sorry for the babbling any one else going through this or just me?

vikiilou89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Although I'm not going through this myself it seems alot of peole's torts seem to be a bit sleepy at the moment.

Is Geroge indoors or outside most of the time?
Old 28-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
vikiilou89
Hatched

at the moment indoors ....dam weather

Old 28-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Have you checked your temps Vicki? approx 32 under basking 20-24 cool end?
Old 28-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
vikiilou89
Hatched

I will monitor them tomorrow and gte back to you im always checking the basking area and adjusting the lamp maybe his cool end is too warm. will have to check tomorrow. thanks x

Old 28-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
JackieL
Sub Adult

Our horsfield Ernie hasn't been his usual stomping, eating self!

I believe it to be the weather. He is housed indoors in the colder weather, outside in the warmer months.

I think the spurt of warm weather in April led him to become very active and eating everything he sees and patrolling the garden!!

Since the weather has deteriorated again he is more lethargic. Today he has been out, I had to wake him he was still asleep at midday. He went out, ate some flowers, had a poo and a wee and walked around the garden, found the spot he likes to sleep in and went back to sleep!

It started to rain so I returned him to his indoor table , again he just went straight to his bedroom area and has remained there since.

I worried alot about this at first, I don't so much now, I feel these creatures much like other cold blooded animals can sense the weather outside no matter how we try to fool them!
JackieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
vikiilou89
Hatched

Glad im not alone then. it just really saddens me to see him sat there cold. but i guess if he wasn't happy about it he would move along to the warm spot.lol x

Old 28-06-2011, 10:32 PM   #8
JackieL
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikiilou89 View Post
Glad im not alone then. it just really saddens me to see him sat there cold. but i guess if he wasn't happy about it he would move along to the warm spot.lol x
I would like to think instinct would kick in also.
JackieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
Eremiel
Hatched

Both my Russians are doing this too. They get up eat a little then sleep all day and have a bath in the evening. Im putting it down to the weather really. Everyone gets a little down when its wet and cold out

1:1:0 Testudo Agrionemys horsfieldii.
0:1:0 Pain in the bum Cat.
Eremiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
andybrock
Incubating

Keano my Horsfield is showing similar behaviour.Gets up has a quick graze and then goes outside and buries down for the day.Came home last night and was still out in the rain.Gave him and Eric(my other chap) a warm bath and they both went off to bed.Think the weather must be confusing them at the moment-30 on monday then 16 yesterday.Ive upped the bathing to keep them more active.
andybrock is offline   Reply With Quote